[net.cooks] Baked Apples - another quick substitute for apple pie

jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (02/25/86)

Baked Apples - my wife's method...

4 crispy, tart, green apples, medium sized (Granny Smiths are good)

{ 3" medium thickness stick cinnamon, broken, ground (use a coffee grinder) }
{ 14 allspice cloves, ground same way (makes interesting coffee afterwards) }
{ Dash grated nutmeg                                                        }

            OR

{ 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon     }
{ 1/2 tsp. allspice       }
{ 1/8 tsp. nutmeg         }

1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons butter (grate if cold)
juice of 1/2 medium lemon

3/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup dried pitted prunes
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or other nuts

   Preheat oven to 400. Butter deep baking dish that has a lid. (Foil works
if you don't have a lid.) Core apples. (Don't peel.) Arrange apples in
dish. If lid won't fit, cut their little bottoms off (hey, that's what it
says). If four apples won't fit, chop slices off of them until they do, then
put the slices in the spaces between the apples.

   Combine all remaining ingredients in bowl. Mix well (this is where
grating the butter comes in handy). Stuff in the center of each apple,
and squish the rest in the spaces between.

    Bake covered at 400 for about 30 minutes or until desired softness.
Serve hot with vanilla ice cream (spoon extra sauce over ice cream).

If I weren't so stuffed from just eating one, this'd make me hungry!

					Jeff Winslow

tbc0@bunny.UUCP (Theresa Campbell) (02/28/86)

thanks - i can't wait to try this one

lflgames@well.UUCP (Lucasfilm Games Division) (02/28/86)

	If you bake apples at 400 for half an hour they have a tendency
to "explode" or at least split as the inside cooks and expands at a different
rate than the outside.  I'd recommend longer at a lower temp - an hour and
a half at about 300 works well, and the skin is softer too.

					Noah Falstein

lewish@acf2.UUCP (Henry M. Lewis) (03/01/86)

If you peel a strip all the way around its equator, the apple will not
burst during baking.

--Hank Lewis   ihnp4!cmcl2!acf2!lewish

<Oh oh here it comes.  Watch out boy, it'll chew you up! \
Oh oh here it comes.  The LINE EATER!  [Line eater]>

In article <167@midas.UUCP>, jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) writes:
>Baked Apples - my wife's method...
>[baked apple recipe]
>    Bake covered at 400 for about 30 minutes or until desired softness.
>Serve hot with vanilla ice cream (spoon extra sauce over ice cream).
>If I weren't so stuffed from just eating one, this'd make me hungry!
>					Jeff Winslow

I've found the microwave oven excellent for this purpose too.  Omit foil,
try to leave the bottoms intact (traps the filling), and zap at full power
in covered container (I even have used two bowls turned lip to lip) for 3 to
4 minutes.  It will be piping hot.  So you can have your baked apple QUICK!
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
						vax135}!ttrdc!levy