[comp.unix.questions] Systems Manager Education

parsnips@dasys1.uucp (David Parsons) (03/21/90)

I have been acting in the capacity of systems manager at my job for the
past 18 months, and now I want to get the job title to go with it.
Unfortunately, they just can't hire me (our personnel people need to
officially classify the position, and, in their little minds, actually
doing the job and getting outstanding appraisals while doing so doesn't
count... such is life in the bureaucracy...)

The job is more managerial than technical (it involves TALKING to the
technical people and supervising the operators, etc.) but I'd like to get a
little paperwork to bolster my application.  So far I've had a couple of
programming courses (and I've done a couple of programs they like) and a
UNIX systems administration workshop (which was too general to be of much
use).

Any general ideas as to courses to take to magically turn me into a systems
analyst (what IS a systems analyst, anyway???) or specific sources in
New York City would be greatly appreciated.

David Parsons
..!cmcl2!{ccnysci,cucard,hombre}!dasys1!parsnips

P.S. we have a spanking new Sequent and a 68 (so far) network of PC's...
--
David Parsons
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

ray@ctbilbo.UUCP (Ray Ward) (03/22/90)

The best you can hope for is $695 to $1295 we're-really-doing-you-a-favor
seminars to come along locally, I'm sorry to say.  I get tons of these
ads in the mail (snail-mail), but I don't recall seeing one specifically
for systems manager training.

The best systems managers in my experience are those who are experienced
programmers and systems designers first, and learn system management the
hard way, by doing it.  Unfortunately, this doesn't suit personnel depts.
(I think most companies would be better off without personnel depts.)

Seriously consider moving to another company, if possible.  They will
believe you when you tell them that you are in charge of systems
management in your present company and will give you the title.  (Then
your old company will be only too happy to rehire you into your old job
with the right title and a hefty increase. ;-)

Ray Ward                                          Email:  uunet!ctbilbo!ray
Voice:  (214) 991-8338x226, (800) 331-7032        Fax  :  (214) 991-8968
=-=-=-=-  There _are_ simple answers, just no _easy_ ones. -- R.R. -=-=-=-=

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/29/90)

In article <48@ctbilbo.UUCP> ray@ctbilbo.UUCP (Ray Ward) writes:
>The best you can hope for is $695 to $1295 we're-really-doing-you-a-favor
>seminars to come along locally, I'm sorry to say.

Now, wait a minute.  Most USENIX and UniForum conferences seem to offer
tutorials in UNIX system administration.