[comp.unix.questions] 4.3 System Administration Training Courses

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (03/27/90)

I am looking for information on a course that I could take that will teach
me how to become a system administrator on a 4.3BSD machine.

I am looking in particular for things like setting up ethernet
interfaces, compiling kernels, managing mail/printers/news, and
building boot tapes

I don't need anything like 'here is how to use vi' or 'here is how to
build users and groups and assign permissions to files'.

Any pointers to companies that offer this, or to actual conferences
would be appreciated.

--
          William C. DenBesten |        denbeste@bgsu.edu
      Dept of Computer Science | CSNET  denbeste%andy.bgsu.edu@relay.cs.net

brando@uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu (Brando W. Brown) (03/28/90)

In article <5587@bgsuvax.UUCP> denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) writes:
>I am looking for information on a course that I could take that will teach
>me how to become a system administrator on a 4.3BSD machine.
>
>I am looking in particular for things like setting up ethernet
>interfaces, compiling kernels, managing mail/printers/news, and
>building boot tapes

If you are set on taking classes, skip this message, but an excellent system
administration book was just published by Prentice Hall called "Unix System
Administration Handbook" written by Nemeth Snyder and Seebass. It provides
good, useful information for the system administrator. It is more of a begin-
ners book, however.

+============================================================================+
|   Brandon Brown                    Internet:   brando@uiucme.me.uiuc.edu   |
|   Addamax Corporation              UUCP:       uunet!uiucuxc!addamax!brown |
|   2009 Fox Drive                   GEnie:      xmg23356 macbrando          |
|   Champaign, IL  61820             CompuServe: 73040,447                   |
+============================================================================+

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (03/29/90)

In article <1990Mar27.173638.26074@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, brando@uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu (Brando W. Brown) writes:
> In article <5587@bgsuvax.UUCP> denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) writes:
> >I am looking for information on a course that I could take that will teach
> >me how to become a system administrator on a 4.3BSD machine.
> >
> If you are set on taking classes, skip this message, but an excellent system
> administration book was just published by Prentice Hall called "Unix System
> Administration Handbook" written by Nemeth Snyder and Seebass.

Not only is this an excellent book--and not just for beginners--but one of
the authors does the USENIX Conference Tutorial on System Administration.
These are given at every USENIX conference and are among the most popular
ones; they fill up fast, so if you want in, pre-register.

--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org