[comp.unix.questions] Was: ctl-Z on process, more explicity question...

pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (03/29/90)

Sorry for the lack of stating the question in a precise format.  I will
try again.

csh and BSD Unix
Start a job:   prog &
then logout
login back in later and do a ps
job is running but you are not at controlling terminal
It seems to be a reasonable (which might be the problem) request
to 'command' the job to pause and then continue (just like I could do
if I did not log out).

using the kill -STOP pid; kill -CONT pid does not work.

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu |
| 2 Rex Street                                                           |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) (03/29/90)

In article <6000@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:

>csh and BSD Unix
>Start a job:   prog &
>then logout
>login back in later and do a ps
>job is running but you are not at controlling terminal
>It seems to be a reasonable (which might be the problem) request
>to 'command' the job to pause and then continue (just like I could do
>if I did not log out).
>
>using the kill -STOP pid; kill -CONT pid does not work.

kill -STOP and kill -CONT may or may not be specific to a system. The
best way to find out what exactly are the codes is by doing a man page
on sigvec(2). It lists all of the interrup codes, and for example, on
phoenix (VAX-8700 running Ultrix 2.0)

kill -17 is SIGSTOP
kill -18 is SIGTSTP (There's a difference between them)

and
kill -19 is SIGCONT (Continues after a stop)

That, and more codes are listed as well.

			-Kartik

--
subbarao@{phoenix,bogey or gauguin}.Princeton.EDU -|Internet
kartik@silvertone.Princeton.EDU (NeXT mail)       -|