[comp.unix.questions] Availability of Korn Shell

nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) (03/28/90)

Can some knowledgeable gentleperson tell me how to go about getting
the source of the Korn Shell (assuming such a thing is possible)?
My understanding - which may be incorrect - is that it is available as
a part of the AT&T Toolchest, so the question might should have been
better phrased.  However, hopefully it is adequate.

We (Florida State University) are properly licensed for AT&T Unix, for
BSD 4.x (sufficient for Mach, anyway), and the proper CPU's are covered.
Any suggestions or helpful comments (including potential vendors - we do
not particularly expect things to be free, although it would be nice) by
e-mail would be greatly appreciated.

John Nall
nall@nu.cs.fsu.edu
--
John W. Nall		| Supercomputation Computations Research Institute
nall@nu.cs.fsu.edu      | Florida State University

root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (03/28/90)

As far as I understand the ONLY place where you can get a copy
of the KSH or KSH-88 is from the AT&T toolchest. I know of no
other source licensee.
Dennis S. Breckenridge  (604) 277-7413   dennis@nebulus.uucp           VE7TCP
               EMACS: Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping!

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (03/29/90)

In article <1990Mar28.064847.9323@nebulus.UUCP> root@nebulus.UUCP
(Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:

| As far as I understand the ONLY place where you can get a copy
| of the KSH or KSH-88 is from the AT&T toolchest. I know of no
| other source licensee.

It should be included as part of the System V.4 source release as well
(though if you want to spend $100,000 when you could spend $2,000 or
$3000, have I got a bridge for you).
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

Catproof is an oxymoron, Childproof is nearly so

root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (03/29/90)

In article <MEISSNER.90Mar28112226@curley.osf.org> meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) writes:

> It should be included as part of the System V.4 source release as well
> (though if you want to spend $100,000 when you could spend $2,000 or
> $3000, have I got a bridge for you).

I do not think any of the KSH is released with SYSV R4. I know it did
not release with the SYSV R3.2. in source even though the binary could
be purchased. Last time I looked on the toolchest KSH-88 was 5,000 not
2 or 3,000. Cheap at any price but too expensive for me. Also I beleive
that AT&T is NOT offering a University discount like they did for SVR3
The 1000.00 Unix source is over. I understand that AT&T will discount
the 100,000.00 at some rate but not release it for 1,000. Sigh!

ekrell@ulysses.att.com (Eduardo Krell) (03/29/90)

In article <1990Mar29.014506.11986@nebulus.UUCP> root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:

>I do not think any of the KSH is released with SYSV R4.

We are running a pre-release SVR4 on a 3B2 and it comes with ksh.
Furthermore, there's a man page for ksh in the manual, so I'd say it's
more than likely it will be included in the official SVR4 release.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

>I do not think any of the KSH is released with SYSV R4.

Unless they changed something *very* recently, you are mistaken.

>I know it did not release with the SYSV R3.2. in source even though
>the binary could be purchased.

Which says nothing about whether it'll be in S5R4; S5R3.2 doesn't, as
far as I know, include source to NFS or the BSD file system, but S5R4
sure does....