[comp.unix.questions] 386/ix and tape streamer

ppel@neabbs.UUCP (PETER PELLEMANS) (03/25/90)

I have a problem installing a tape streamer, which according Interactive
Systems in the UK should work. The actual installation goes without any
problems, but after building a new kernel, UNIX gets stuck while trying to
boot.

The situation is:

       UNIX 386/ix version 2.0.2
       Tape streamer ARCHIVE VIPER VP60i
       Controller SC402, type QIC-02

The menu in kconfig gives only one option, i.e. Wangtek. So what should we
do in order to install the above streamer.

HELP !!

Peter Pellemans
CSE Consultants in Software Engineering bv - Zeist, The Netherlands
phone: (31) 3404 - 11420
UUCP:  ppel@neabbs.nl

brando@uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu (Brando W. Brown) (03/26/90)

In article <340515@neabbs.UUCP> ppel@neabbs.UUCP (PETER PELLEMANS) writes:

>I have a problem installing a tape streamer, which according Interactive
>Systems in the UK should work. The actual installation goes without any
>problems, but after building a new kernel, UNIX gets stuck while trying to
>boot.
>
>The situation is:
>
>       UNIX 386/ix version 2.0.2
>       Tape streamer ARCHIVE VIPER VP60i
>       Controller SC402, type QIC-02
>
>The menu in kconfig gives only one option, i.e. Wangtek. So what should we
>do in order to install the above streamer.

In the 386/ix Operating System Release Notes pages 2 and 3 describe the
procedure for installing a SCSI tape drive such as the Archive 2060,2125,2150
of which I have the 2150. By following the installation instructions you
add three lines to a new file called "tape" in /etc/conf/node.d, use kconfig
under High performance disk driver (item # 7) and follow the Y/N prompts
including the SCSI tape. Then make a new kernel and reboot.

Hope this helps.

Brando

+============================================================================+
|   Brandon Brown                    Internet:   brando@uiucme.me.uiuc.edu   |
|   Addamax Corporation              UUCP:       uunet!uiucuxc!addamax!brown |
|   2009 Fox Drive                   GEnie:      xmg23356 macbrando          |
|   Champaign, IL  61820             CompuServe: 73040,447                   |
+============================================================================+

In article <340515@neabbs.UUCP> ppel@neabbs.UUCP (PETER PELLEMANS) writes:
>The situation is:
>
>       UNIX 386/ix version 2.0.2
>       Tape streamer ARCHIVE VIPER VP60i
>       Controller SC402, type QIC-02
>
>The menu in kconfig gives only one option, i.e. Wangtek. So what should we
>do in order to install the above streamer.

You need the "ct" device driver from archive.  Interactive does not include
a device driver for the archive tape drive in its standard distribution.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

ppel@neabbs.UUCP (PETER PELLEMANS) (03/30/90)

Thanks for all the info so far. Unfortunately it hasn't helped yet. It
may be my fault, my explanation of the problem was incorrect. I said
the installation of the driver went without any problems. This is not
true since I don't have the driver. I was confused with something else
(installation os the tape with SCSI).

I did find a ct driver for XENIX 286/386. I don't know whether that is
the one to use for my 386/ix system. And if I could use it (or get
another one from ARCHIVE), I still would not be able to install it,
since the only option kconfig gives me is a WANGTEK tape.

What can I do in order to install without using kconfig, given that I
am able to get the right driver ?

Thanks, Peter

Peter Pellemans
CSE Consultants in Software Engineering bv, Zeist, The Netherlands
Phone (31) 3404 - 11420
Fax   (31) 3404 - 13866
UUCP  ppel@neabbs.nl