[comp.unix.questions] History on SAR -S- option

cjd@moose.udev.cdc.com (cj duffy x6290) (03/23/90)

I am interested in any "history" in the SAR option of "S".  This option
gives statistics on "server requests, availability, etc".  However, in
the MIPs version of Unix, while they support the -S- option, the results
are always zero (0).  I also can not find any place in the source code
which updates the table which stores the information, i.e. no one updates
the table with structure of "dinfo" which is contained in the file sysinfo.h.

12:56:24 serv/lo-hi   request   request    server    server
               0 - 0     %busy  avg lgth    %avail avg avail
12:56:25          0       0.0         0       0.0         0

Does other implementations of Unix update this information?  Does someone
have some history on it?  If so, where can I read about it.

Thx,
Chris Duffy
cjd@moose.udev.cdc.com

tim@Athena.UUCP (Tim Dawson) (03/30/90)

cjd@moose.udev.cdc.com (cj duffy x6290) writes:
>12:56:24 serv/lo-hi   request   request    server    server
>               0 - 0     %busy  avg lgth    %avail avg avail
>12:56:25          0       0.0         0       0.0         0

>Does other implementations of Unix update this information?  Does someone
>have some history on it?  If so, where can I read about it.

All Motorola implementations of Unix support this - on both the 68000 and
88000 platforms.

Hence an my 88000 system:

15:00:42 serv/lo-hi   request   request    server    server
               3 - 6     %busy  avg lgth    %avail avg avail
15:00:47          3       0.0         0      99.5         3

Please also keep in mind that these server stats are for RFS file servers -
if you don't run RFS on your network, you won't see anything in sar -S, since
you do not have the code installed to do so!  I hope this sheds some light . . .
Tim Dawson (...!texsun!Athena!tim)  Motorola Computer Systems, Dallas, TX.
"The opinions expressed above do not relect those of my employer - often even I
cannot figure out what I am talking about."

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (03/30/90)

In article <19243@shamash.cdc.com> cjd@moose.udev.cdc.com (cj duffy x6290) writes:
>I am interested in any "history" in the SAR option of "S".  This option
>gives statistics on "server requests, availability, etc".  However, in
>the MIPs version of Unix, while they support the -S- option, the results
>are always zero (0).

The "S" option shows RFS server activity.  As RISC/os does not support RFS,
this information does not get collected.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
MS 4-02    928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086             rogerk@mips.COM