[comp.unix.questions] can you setuid a ksh script?

gph@hpcc01.HP.COM (Paul Houtz) (03/29/90)

Can a korn shell script be made setuid?

I have tried doing it with chmod and it hasn't worked.

Can anyone out there who has already successfully done this please
let me know the steps neccessary?   If you know for sure that it
can't be done, that info would be helpful too.

I want a ksh script that is setuid root.

brando@uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu (Brando W. Brown) (03/30/90)

In article <10910003@hpcc01.HP.COM> gph@hpcc01.HP.COM (Paul Houtz) writes:
>Can a korn shell script be made setuid?
>
>I have tried doing it with chmod and it hasn't worked.
>
>Can anyone out there who has already successfully done this please
>let me know the steps neccessary?   If you know for sure that it
>can't be done, that info would be helpful too.
>
>I want a ksh script that is setuid root.

To do this you I think you have to recompile KSH with a switch set in a .h
file. More information is included in the README that comes with the source
set.

Brando

+============================================================================+
|   Brandon Brown                    Internet:   brando@uiucme.me.uiuc.edu   |
|   Addamax Corporation              UUCP:       uunet!uiucuxc!addamax!brown |
|   2009 Fox Drive                   GEnie:      xmg23356 macbrando          |
|   Champaign, IL  61820             CompuServe: 73040,447                   |

rshwake@irscscm (Ray Shwake) (04/03/90)

Before we acquired a site license to Korn Shell (ksh-i), we utilized a
locally modified version of 'setsh' found in Wood and Kochan's _UNIX_
System_Security_. The original version would permit one to run a shell
program setuid or setgid, as is available with ksh's /etc/suid_exec, but
would not support the interactive running of such a shell (e.g. a menu).
Our version would support menus, and was primarily used for same.