[comp.unix.questions] Wherefore art thou, Compuserve.com?

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (04/06/90)

Received tonight, after creating a mail message previously:
---
We have been unable to contact machine 'compuserve' since you queued your job.

	compuserve!mail 74056.227   (Date 04/04)
The job will be deleted in several days if the problem is not corrected.
	Sincerely,
	saqqara.cis.oh!uucp

----
Any comments?  Has the gateway been shut down?  Or is the address
'compuserve.com' wrong?  (I used to use the formal name, but the mail
bounces.)

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |  "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) (04/09/90)

	As it was explained to me, the syntax for sending mail to a
Compu$erve subscriber from the Internet is:

	71735,1776@compuserve.com	(My PPN, by the way)
             ^
	     Note "," instead of "."

	I suppose that 'wherever!compuserve!71735,1776' might work as
well for uucp routing.
	The problem with your example was:

	compuserve!mail 7XXXX.XXXX
	               ^     ^
		       |     A period -- sendmail tried to parse this as a
		       |      name or an Internet address, and failed

			A space -- not allowed

Cheers!

Sam'l Bassett, Sterling Software @ NASA Ames Research Center,
Moffett Field CA 94035 Work: (415) 604-4792;  Home: (415) 969-2644
samlb@well.sf.ca.us                     samlb@ames.arc.nasa.gov
<Disclaimer> := 'Sterling doesn't _have_ opinions -- much less NASA!'

andyb@coat.com (Andy Behrens) (04/09/90)

Samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) writes:
> ....syntax for sending mail to a Compu$erve subscriber from the Internet is:
>
>	71735,1776@compuserve.com	(My PPN, by the way)

Make that
	71735.1776@compuserve.com

Close.  The comma really does get changed to a period when you're
sending mail.  (Commas, and most other punctuation marks, are not
allowed in the user part of a user@domain address -- unless it's
quoted.  Periods *are* allowed).

--
Live justly, love gently, walk humbly.
					Andy Behrens

uucp:   {uunet,rutgers}!dartvax!coat.com!andyb
Burlington Coat, PO Box 729, Lebanon, N.H. 03766	(603) 448-5000

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (04/11/90)

In article <5535@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) writes:

| 	As it was explained to me, the syntax for sending mail to a
| Compu$erve subscriber from the Internet is:
|
| 	71735,1776@compuserve.com	(My PPN, by the way)
|              ^
| 	     Note "," instead of "."
|
| 	I suppose that 'wherever!compuserve!71735,1776' might work as
| well for uucp routing.
| 	The problem with your example was:
|
| 	compuserve!mail 7XXXX.XXXX
| 	               ^     ^
| 		       |     A period -- sendmail tried to parse this as a
| 		       |      name or an Internet address, and failed
| 			A space -- not allowed
|
| Cheers!

This was the response message from whatever mailer was processing the info.
My original message was to 7xxxx.xxx@compuserve.com.
I occasionally use a longer name (from saqqara.cis.ohio-state) if the mail
barfs on the shorter name.  It appeared that even that can fail.

Eric, tinkerer-at-large