[comp.unix.questions] what's a SIGEMT signal?

rgr@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (robert.g.robillard) (03/29/90)

I'm not sure if this is a novice-type question or not, but
what's a SIGEMT signal?  The 4.3BSD book by Leffler, McKusick,
Karels, and Quarterman gave me the most information: "emulate
instruction executed."  The Bach Book on System V  doesn't
mention it, and the System V documentation says "EMT instruction."
So  does the Berkeley documentation, the sun include file
<signal.h>, and the System V include file <signal.h>

Does anyone know  anything about SIGEMT?

--
|  Duke Robillard                                                        |
|  Internet: rgr@m10ux.att.com         | BITNET: rgr%m10ux.uucp@psuvax1  |

unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) (04/09/90)

>I'm not sure if this is a novice-type question or not, but
>what's a SIGEMT signal?  The 4.3BSD book by Leffler, McKusick,
>Karels, and Quarterman gave me the most information: "emulate
>instruction executed."  The Bach Book on System V  doesn't
>mention it, and the System V documentation says "EMT instruction."
>So  does the Berkeley documentation, the sun include file
><signal.h>, and the System V include file <signal.h>
>
>Does anyone know  anything about SIGEMT?

SIGEMT (Signal Emergency Medical Technician) is generated by a process
that was almost, but not quite killed.  This can happen if its parent
tried to kill it, but a friendly process chased it off.  (After an
unsuccessful kill, the aggressive process often goes into a deep blue
<defunct>.)

So, if you ever do a 'kill -9' and the process doesn't die, they may have
done a SIGEMT and been rescued by the paramedics.  It is generally advised
to wipe all the fingerprints off your keyboard, and to hide your shell.
After all, a SIGCOP may have also been generated.
--
UUCP:   ..!uunet!unhd!rg      | USPS: Marine Systems Engineering Laboratory
BITNET: r_gonzalez at unhh    |       University of New Hampshire

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (04/11/90)

In article <12540@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

   > fgrep on 3B2 does not support a -i option.
   Sure it does, at least as of UNIX System V Release 2.0 (1985 vintage).

It's documented in our 3b2/1000 SVR3.2.2 man pages as well.
--
Lyndon Nerenberg  CF6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
     {alberta,decwrl}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA