[net.cooks] Noodles in "The Four Seasons"

eric@chronon.UUCP (Eric Black) (03/07/86)

>   My wife has a burning question; she can't seem to sleep nights
> without an answer, so I turn to the net for assistance.
>
>   In the movie "The Four Seasons," near the beginning, some friends
> are cooking dinner at a country retreat.  The man in charge is very
> fussy about getting the wok to a specified high temperature (I don't
> remember what the temperature was).  When he is satisfied with the
> temperature, he tosses in a mass of dried something that looks like
> compressed noodle.
>
>   Whombah!  The mess of dried stuff, the size of your fist, is
> suddenly a wokful of noodle.  The expansion takes about a second
> and a half.  If I ever find out that they speeded up the camera
> for this scene, I'll be massively pissed.
>
>   So:  what is this stuff?  Looks like a lot of fun to prepare.
> I'd appreciate a name and directions for preparation, if known.
> Thanks, y'all.
>
> 	Chris
> 	{decwrl,allegra,sun}!pyramid!isieng!chrisk

They are "fun see", also called "bean thread" or "cellophane noodles".
They are often used in Chinese, Japanese and other Oriental cooking.
If soaked in cold water for a couple of hours before use, they are
transparent; deep-fried they puff up ~eightfold or more.

(One Chinese dish I like to prepare, and those I have served it to enjoy,
is called "Ants Climb the Trees".  It's basically a meat sauce served
on deep-fried fun see.  The crackling sound suggests armies of ants
climbing and munching in/on leaves.)

--
Eric Black   "Garbage In, Gospel Out"
UUCP:        {sun,pyramid,hplabs,amdcad}!chronon!eric

jon@msunix.UUCP (Otto) (03/08/86)

In article <171@chronon.UUCP>, eric@chronon.UUCP (Eric Black) writes:
> >   My wife has a burning question; she can't seem to sleep nights
> > without an answer, so I turn to the net for assistance.
> >
> >   Whombah!  The mess of dried stuff, the size of your fist, is
> > suddenly a wokful of noodle.  The expansion takes about a second
> > and a half.  If I ever find out that they speeded up the camera
> > for this scene, I'll be massively pissed.
>
> They are "fun see", also called "bean thread" or "cellophane noodles".

That's funny, I'm Chinese and I call them "rice noodles".  :^)
They are also used in Chinese Chicken Salad and Szechaun Beef.
And yes, they do puff up that fast.

Local interest only -->  A good oriental grocery store is at the corner
of Wolfe Road and Old San Francisco Road in Sunnyvale.  A few stores down
is a Chinese restaurant where you can buy BBQ pork or takeout Chinese
food (BBQ pork is ok, food is of unknown quality).

Bitchin' Camaro!		Jonathan Hue
Bitchin' Camaro!		LMSC-Mechanisms & Servos
Tire Tracks Across your Lawn!
(c) The Dead Milkmen, 1985	{amdcad!cae780,sun!sunncal}!leadsv!msunix!jon

rtummers1@watrose.UUCP (Richard Tummers) (03/08/86)

> >   In the movie "The Four Seasons," near the beginning, some friends
> > are cooking dinner at a country retreat.  The man in charge is very
> > fussy about getting the wok to a specified high temperature (I don't
> > remember what the temperature was).  When he is satisfied with the
> > temperature, he tosses in a mass of dried something that looks like
> > compressed noodle.
> >
> >   Whombah!  The mess of dried stuff, the size of your fist, is
> > suddenly a wokful of noodle.  The expansion takes about a second
> > and a half.  If I ever find out that they speeded up the camera
> > for this scene, I'll be massively pissed.
> >
> >   So:  what is this stuff?  Looks like a lot of fun to prepare.
> > I'd appreciate a name and directions for preparation, if known.
> > Thanks, y'all.
> >
> > 	Chris
> > 	{decwrl,allegra,sun}!pyramid!isieng!chrisk
>
> They are "fun see", also called "bean thread" or "cellophane noodles".
> They are often used in Chinese, Japanese and other Oriental cooking.
> If soaked in cold water for a couple of hours before use, they are
> transparent; deep-fried they puff up ~eightfold or more.
>
> (One Chinese dish I like to prepare, and those I have served it to enjoy,
> is called "Ants Climb the Trees".  It's basically a meat sauce served
> on deep-fried fun see.  The crackling sound suggests armies of ants
> climbing and munching in/on leaves.)

The Dutch have a similar dish as well, called 'Kroepoek'.  It is not a noodle
dish per se, but is prepared by deep frying in hot (450-500 Farenheit) fat,
and it expands many times it's origional size in a few seconds.  Simple to
cook, all you do is drop it in hot fat, and take it out a few seconds (5-10)
later.
Another chinese dish, known by the english name 'shrimp chips' is also similar
in preparation and properties.