[comp.unix.questions] pic graphics

consult@physc1.byu.edu (04/10/90)

Is there a good graphics program available (paint/draw type) for Unix systems
that will create pic compatible output (for use with troff documents)?

We have Frame Maker for our Suns, but I don't believe it will do this.
If someone knows different, let me know.

The preferred environment would be for a Sun under SunView.  Next would
be under X.  Other possible environments we could work with:

        DEC & VAX stations
        HP 9000 workstations
        AT&T 5620 DMD terminals connected to BSD or SYSV systems
        MAC or PC programs capable of uploading to Unix systems

The version of pic we have came with xroff from Image Network.
Thanks for any suggestions.

                                        YYYY   YYYY
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that  YYY   YYY
intelligent life exists elsewhere in the  YYY YYY    Cary Jamison
universe is that none of it has tried to    YYY      BYU CS Dept Sys Prog
contact us." -- Calvin (& Hobbes)           YYY      cary@cs.byu.edu
                                           YYYYY
                                           YYYYY

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (04/12/90)

In article <66consult@physc1.byu.edu>, consult@physc1.byu.edu writes:
|> Is there a good graphics program available (paint/draw type) for Unix
systems
|> that will create pic compatible output (for use with troff documents)?
|>
|> We have Frame Maker for our Suns, but I don't believe it will do this.
|> If someone knows different, let me know.
|>
|> The preferred environment would be for a Sun under SunView.  Next would
|> be under X.  Other possible environments we could work with:
|>
|>         DEC & VAX stations
|>         HP 9000 workstations
|>         AT&T 5620 DMD terminals connected to BSD or SYSV systems
|>         MAC or PC programs capable of uploading to Unix systems
|>
|> The version of pic we have came with xroff from Image Network.
|> Thanks for any suggestions.

xfig2.0 is an interactive drawing package that will produce pic or
Postscript output.  It runs only in X.

xfig1.4.3 will run in SunView but doesn't have some of the features
of version 2.0, such as different line widths and fonts.

Both are available from expo.lcs.mit.edu in /contrib/xfig-2.0.pl5.tar.Z
for version 2.0 or /contrib/xfig-1.4.3-pl5.tar.Z for version 1.4.3.

Version 2.0 is also available from comp.sources.x.
_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (04/13/90)

In article <66consult@physc1.byu.edu> consult@physc1.byu.edu writes:
>Is there a good graphics program available (paint/draw type) for Unix systems
>that will create pic compatible output (for use with troff documents)?

"cip" in the DMD "text/graphics" host software package, also available
as "xcip" for the MTG/DMD from the AT&T UNIX System ToolChest, does this.
The "proof" (or "xproof") troff postprocessor for viewing on DMD/MTG is
included, along with a large number of font bitmap files.

>The preferred environment would be for a Sun under SunView.  Next would
>be under X.

I thought SunView was on the way out..
"cip" has probably been ported to X-Windows, but I don't know how you
would get hold of that version.