[comp.unix.questions] Reading, But No Copying

macbeth@gdwest.gd.com (David Macy-Beckwith) (04/07/90)

O.K., folks, here's the situation:

Unix Flavor: SunOS 3.5

Requirement:

Create a file which is readable (by vi, more, whatever) by
common-or-garden users BUT NOT COPYABLE. We need to let them examine, even print, the info, but not jury-rig some results by copying,
editing, and printing the file.

Comments:
It would seem that read-only for the world/universe/others
(004) would do the trick, but no, vi will read that puppy in and then
let you copy it to your $HOME with no problems.

I suspect I am missing some concept in the realm of Unix file
permissions (wouldn't be the first time).

Please e-mail me, as I am able to check my mail much more frequently
than I'm able to read Dah Net.

Thanks in advance.

--
David Macy-Beckwith
General Dynamics Data Systems Division, Western Center

brnstnd@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (04/13/90)

In article <1990Apr6.210922.5579@gdwest.gd.com> macbeth@gdwest.UUCP (David Macy-Beckwith) writes:
> Create a file which is readable (by vi, more, whatever) by
> common-or-garden users BUT NOT COPYABLE.

Impossible. Once vi or more gets to it, it can be copied anywhere. If
you're trying to say ``which is printable but that's it,'' then write a
program that just sends the information to the printer.

This sounds like a problem of logistics, not UNIX.

---Dan

kailanhw@aludra.usc.edu (04/14/90)

In article <1990Apr6.210922.5579@gdwest.gd.com> macbeth@gdwest.UUCP (David Macy-Beckwith) writes:
#O.K., folks, here's the situation:
#
#Unix Flavor: SunOS 3.5
#
#Requirement:
#
#Create a file which is readable (by vi, more, whatever) by
#common-or-garden users BUT NOT COPYABLE. We need to let them examine, even print, the info, but not jury-rig some results by copying,
#editing, and printing the file.

This seems impossible, especially, if some users use dial in and their
communication program may have record mode which can capture anything show
up on the screen.

#
#Comments:
#It would seem that read-only for the world/universe/others
#(004) would do the trick, but no, vi will read that puppy in and then
#let you copy it to your $HOME with no problems.

If there has no dial in or screen dump, you can write a shell script
to show the file only and detect anything illegal such as 'script'
which can catch anything show up on the screen.

#David Macy-Beckwith
#General Dynamics Data Systems Division, Western Center
#Somewhere in or near San Diego
#UUCP: {decvax|ucsd|ucbvax}!sdsu!gdwest!macbeth

| Opinion stated above is mine only and put your best judgement on it.        |
| Snail : kailanhw@usc.edu                          % flame > /dev/null       |
| "The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open."    --- Gunter Grass       |