[net.cooks] Cuban Black Bean Soup ??? Maggi's Seasoning

bruceh@mako.UUCP (Bruce Harris) (03/06/86)

***

For several years I've trying to duplicate the Black Bean soup dishes
that I have enjoyed in Tampa, Florida Cuban restuarants.  The best
recipe I've tried has been cooked without its listed "Maggi's
Seasoning". I have looked in many references, stores, and catalogs for
this spice, but have never found any of it nor a description of it.

I would appreciate a recipe that produces the style of soup offered in
Tampa.  Does anybody know about this particular seasoning?

If you know more about this spice or have a recipe for Cuban Black Bean
Soup that is seasoned agressively please let me know by mail.

Thanks

Bruce Harris
tektronix!tekecs!bruceh

jin@hropus.UUCP (Jear Bear) (03/09/86)

I have seen it in my East coast supermarkets.  It is a blend of soup
type veggies, carmel, "flavorings", and probably hydrolysed veggie
protein (sugar beet cake (left from pressing juice) high in Glutamic
acid, but this is only a guess).  I vaguelly remember a recipe (a quick
look thru the cookbooks didn't find it) that called for roasting carrots,
onions, celery, and probably something obnoxious like turnips (:-) until
brown then adding liquid and probably spices and herbs and cooking until
reduced.  Then you would strain the result and use as a commercial stock
intensifier (which is what Maggi Seasoning is).  Thanks for your question,
it brought back memories of long past kitchen experiments (when I had the
time to work on recipe development).
--
			Jerry Natowitz
			ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jin

figmo@lll-crg.ARpA (Lynn Gold) (03/09/86)

In article <1046@mako.UUCP>, bruceh@mako.UUCP (Bruce Harris) writes:
> ***
>
> For several years I've trying to duplicate the Black Bean soup dishes
> that I have enjoyed in Tampa, Florida Cuban restuarants.  The best
> recipe I've tried has been cooked without its listed "Maggi's
> Seasoning". I have looked in many references, stores, and catalogs for
> this spice, but have never found any of it nor a description of it.
>
> Does anybody know about this particular seasoning?

Maggi's seasoning is something along the lines of a gravy enhancer.  It
comes in a bottle.  If you can't find it, Kitchen Bouquet or Bovril should
be an acceptable substitute.  You'll sometimes find one or more of these
in the soup or gravy area of your grocery store.

Good luck!

--Lynn

--
UUCP: ...lll-crg!figmo
ARPA: Lynn%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM

* Any resemblance between my postings and any person, living or dead, *
* is purely coincidental.  Besides, I'm only a guest user here...     *

seb@mtgzy.UUCP (s.e.badian) (03/11/86)

	This Cuban Black Bean Soup if from "Soup's On" by Nancy Baggett
and Ruth Glick. I haven't tried it; I just offer it as a possibility.

	Cuban Black Bean Soup

2 cups (about 1 pound) dry black beans, sorted and washed
8 cups water
3 large onions, finely chopped
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, preferably freshly ground
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Rice
1 cup long-grain white rice
1 tablepoon chopped onion
3 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Green Pepper and Spices
2 large sweet green peppers, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves

Put the beans in a Dutch oven or soup pot and cover them with about
2 inches of cold water. Bring them to a boil over high heat and soak
for 1 hour, covered. Drain beans and discard soaking water.

In bean soaking pot, combine beans with water, onions, garlic, salt
and peppers. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.

Cover, lower heat and simmer for 3 hours or until beans have softened,
cooked down and thickened the water.

About an hour before the beans have finished cooking, combine the rice,
1 tablespoon onion, and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring
to a boil over high heat. Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes,
or until the rice is tender.

Stir vinegar and olive oil into the rice. Cover and set mixture aside
to marinate.

About 15 minutes before the beans are finished, combine the green
peppers and olive oil in a medium skillet. Cook, stirring frequently,
over medium high heat until very tender, about 10 minutes.

Stir in cumin and oregano. Cook, stirring for another 2 minutes. Add
pepper mixture to soup and stir.

Simmer soup for about 15 minutes.

To serve, spoon approximately 2 tablespoons of rice on top of each
serving.

Makes 8 to 10 servings

Sharon Badian
ihnp4!mtgzy!seb