[comp.unix.questions] Stupidest UNIX Command

btrue@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (Barry.True) (05/01/90)

In article <23183@adm.BRL.MIL> rbottin@atl.calstate.edu (Richard John Botting) writes:
>Subject: Re: Stupidist command
>
>I propose either 'dos' or 'vpix' or whatever you have that makes your UNIX
>into a PC.

This isn't such a stupid command! In fact, here at E&M Dayton, it is a VERY
useful command. We are providing a 386SX machine running a UNIX V.3 variant
from ISC. It is provided as a lower-cost server platform for our
NetBIOS/Token Ring LAN than our traditional UNIX TOWER system. What makes
the vpix command useful in this environment is the fact that you can set up
the DOS partition to start up the network including all servers and then
bring up DOS. You now have another workstation which can be used to connect
to the LAN as if it were a remote workstation. This allows the console to
be used both as a UNIX console and a LAN workstation thus allowing the
client to save money that he would have normally had to spend on another
workstation.

martin@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) (05/04/90)

Let's try to shift the topic a little.

What I consider the stupidest UNIX command is "uniq".

No, stop, don't send flames, I know that what "uniq"
*does* is useful. Really.

But there is something that allways annoys me. If you
don't know right now, take a look at the manual.
Maybe this will pay some day ....
--
Martin Weitzel, email: martin@mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83