[comp.unix.questions] ESDI controllers/drives & SCO UNIX

DBarker@syetm-m.phx.bull.com (05/02/90)

Thanks for all those who steered me clear of the Perstor controllers.
Now - does anyone out there have any experience of the following?
          NEC 5655 153Mb ESDI disk
          Western Digital WD1007A-WA2 ESDI controller
with SCO UNIX (or Xenix)?

My SCO UNIX release notes say that it will work OK with the WD1007
(ST506) and WD1006 (ESDI) controllers - so I am a bit puzzled as to why
the WD1007A should be ESDI rather than ST506 - oh well... I am VERY
reulctant to spend large amounts of money without the benefit of someone
else's experience, as I discovered the hard way that the Seagate SCSI
controller won't even boot UNIX from floppy - despite the company's
claims that it works fine with "all UNIX's". (In fact it won't even boot
otherm non-DOS software such as the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
game).

Any info - either to me direct or here - will be MUCH appreciated.

"Send Lawyers, Guns and Money,
Dad - get me out of this!"

Deryk Barker,
Jupiter Software
Victoria, BC

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (05/05/90)

In article <23205@adm.BRL.MIL> DBarker@syetm-m.phx.bull.com writes:
>My SCO UNIX release notes say that it will work OK with the WD1007
>(ST506) and WD1006 (ESDI) controllers - so I am a bit puzzled as to why
>the WD1007A should be ESDI rather than ST506 - oh well...

It's called a misstatement... Both the WD-1007A and WD-1007V are ESDI
controllers. The WD-1006 and WD-1006V are ST-506. I've used the 1006 and
1006V under both Xenix/386 and 386/ix - work fine, the V being notably
faster. I'm currently using the 1007V with SCO UNIX. Works fine, though
I had to play with the jumpers on the board and on my Core HC90 to get
everything happy.

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (05/05/90)

In article <23205@adm.BRL.MIL>, DBarker@syetm-m.phx.bull.com writes:
> My SCO UNIX release notes say that it will work OK with the WD1007
> (ST506) and WD1006 (ESDI) controllers - so I am a bit puzzled as to why
> the WD1007A should be ESDI rather than ST506

That must be a typo -- the WD1007 is definitely ESDI and the
WD1006 is ST-506.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@SDRC.UU.NET
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"You know how Einstein got bad grades as a kid?  Well MINE are even WORSE!"
-Calvin