[comp.unix.questions] filling file system

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) (05/05/90)

In article <8170008@hpfcdq.HP.COM> benji@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Jeff Benjamin) writes:
>Waitaminit -- I actually found a use for yes.  I was doing some testing
>where I needed to fill up the file system (though this is certainly not
>a common thing to do on purpose :-).  My method for doing this was
>
>yes "A nice long string here...." > file
>
>and viola!  Mbytes of file space gone in seconds!

My favorite is to go into a directory for which you want to create a tar
file, then type 'tar cfx * > foo' (I don't remember the actual tar flags
and the manuals in the other room).  What this will do is read stuff from
the top of foo, write it to the end of foo, read more from the top of foo,
write it, etc etc.  Oh well, experience is what allows us to recognize a
mistake when we make it again.

--
jim		jharkins@sagpd1

My new investment plan GUARENTEES a 50% rate of return!  Just mail me $10,000
and I promise you'll get $5,000 back.