[comp.unix.questions] RCS

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (07/03/88)

In article <23585@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA
(Mike Khaw) writes:
>1.2
>log
>@can't embed Log in shell script (no syntax for multiline comments)
>@

It is true that the shells do not have true multiline comments, but
that should not stop you from including the $Log$ keyword in an RCS
file.  RCS knows how to prefix log messages with strings; if the
`comment leader' RCS chooses is incorrect, you can set it directly
with the `rcs' command.  Even if that were not the case, one could
write, e.g.,

	: << \eof
	$Log$
	eof			(`\eof' in csh)

although this is a kludge.

[light camping stove]
That said, I still think putting log messages in source files is wrong.
The log messages (in SCCS, delta messages) belong in the RCS file.
[put out camping stove]
We now return you to your regularly scheduled flamage.

jobrien@nixbur.UUCP (John O'Brien) (12/05/89)

Our system is considering going to rcs (Revision Control System) for
source code control.  The big problem at this point is that the only
documentation we have at this point is the "man" pages, which are just
a start, and don't really cover the concepts, details, or provide a
tutorial.  Could somebody, anybody out there point me to some good doc-
umentation on rcs?

				John F. O'Brien

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (12/11/89)

In article <712@nixbur.UUCP>, jobrien@nixbur.UUCP (John O'Brien) writes:

> Our system is considering going to rcs (Revision Control System) for
> source code control.  The big problem at this point is that the only
> documentation we have at this point is the "man" pages, which are
> just a start, and don't really cover the concepts, details, or
> provide a tutorial.  Could somebody, anybody out there point me to
> some good doc- umentation on rcs?

The RCS source, that I pulled from one of the archives (probably
gatekeeper.dec.com) had a nice tutorial that I could probably send you
if you can't find it. A much shorter tutorial can be found in the BSD
4.3 Unix Programmer's Manual Supplementary Documents 1.

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

rfinch@caldwr.UUCP (Ralph Finch) (12/12/89)

In article <1125@awdprime.UUCP>, ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
> In article <712@nixbur.UUCP>, jobrien@nixbur.UUCP (John O'Brien) writes:
>
> > . . .
> > Could somebody, anybody out there point me to
> > some good doc- umentation on rcs?
>
> The RCS source, that I pulled from one of the archives (probably
> gatekeeper.dec.com) had a nice tutorial that I could probably send you
> if you can't find it.

If the referred tutorial is rcs.ms, problem is that it requires pic to
format it, and a lot of sites (including ours) don't have pic, which
is AT&T commercial software.  Does anybody have a postscript version
of rcs.ms available for ftp'ing?

--
Ralph Finch		The opinions expressed herein are mine...
...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch		916-445-0088

jkcohen@csm9a.UUCP ( Math/CWP) (03/26/90)

Would someone kindly mail me instructions on locating a version of RCS that
installs nicely on recent flavors of ATT Unix?  My specific target is
an IBM PS/2 running AIX.  My copy was old and while I managed to get it
compiled, I fear I have damaged some of the advanced features.
Thanks in advance.
--
Jack K. Cohen
jkc@dix.mines.colorado.edu

hascall@cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) (05/07/90)

  I just "inherited" a large 'C' software system which was previously
  maintained with RCS.  Well, I found RCS, FTP'd it, and compiled it--now
  what do I do with it???  It came with no docs at all; I would greatly
  appreciate *any* help anyone can give me on this thing!

Thanks a 1024K,
John Hascall
hascall@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu      <or>     gvjph@isuvax.bitnet
Iowa State University  Ames, IA 50011