[comp.unix.questions] Stupid UNIX command syntax

In article <747@mwtech.UUCP> martin@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes
about an innofensive program called "uniq".
> But there is something that allways annoys me. If you
> don't know right now, take a look at the manual.
> Maybe this will pay some day ....

You mean, the way if you have files named a and b, and you say "uniq ?",
it will trash "b"? Indent does it too. It's really a sick idea.

Thanks for the warning.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180.      <peter@ficc.uu.net>
 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?  <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>

c60c-3cf@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Dan Kogai) (05/06/90)

In article <7Z739XAxds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <747@mwtech.UUCP> martin@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes
>about an innofensive program called "uniq".
>> But there is something that allways annoys me. If you
>> don't know right now, take a look at the manual.
>> Maybe this will pay some day ....
>
>You mean, the way if you have files named a and b, and you say "uniq ?",
>it will trash "b"? Indent does it too. It's really a sick idea.

	But at least indent makes backup!  Uniq just kills it.  But it's
not hard to implement uniq an make it safe.  Well, I don't use uniq as
often as grep|sed and never killed file by that...

---
##################  Dan The "I grok therefore I am God" Man
+ ____  __  __   +  (Aka Dan Kogai)
+     ||__||__|  +  E-mail:     dankg@ocf.berkeley.edu
+ ____| ______   +  Voice:      415-549-6111
+ |     |__|__|  +  USnail:     1730 Laloma Berkeley, CA 94709
+ |___  |__|__|  +              U.S.A
+     |____|____ +  Disclaimer: I'd rather be blackmailed for my long .sig
+   \_|    |     +              than give up my cool name in Kanji. And my
+ <- THE MAN  -> +              citizenship of People's Republic o' Berkeley
##################              has nothing 2 do w/ whatever I post, ThanQ.

mike@nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) (05/07/90)

In article <1990May5.233549.4987@agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-3cf@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Dan Kogai) writes:
>In article <7Z739XAxds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>You mean, the way if you have files named a and b, and you say "uniq ?",
>>it will trash "b"? Indent does it too. It's really a sick idea.
>>
>	But at least indent makes backup!  Uniq just kills it...

Nah, indent will blow away the second file named in a line like "indent a.c b.c"

I once pulled an "indent *.c" on a set of about 30 source files in a
directory.  Indent complained that the last file name in the list was an
"unknown parameter," simultaneously blowing away the second file from the
list.  No, I didn't have a backup for the 2000+ lines of source, nor did I
even notice it until I tried to do a make right before a deadline. >-(

Peace,
  Mike

--
Michael D. Lyons / Nixdorf Computer AG / phone: +49 911 6415 609
Donaustrasse 36 :: D-8500 Nuernberg 60 :: Federal Republic of Germany