[comp.unix.questions] source code for the /usr/new/csh found on ultrix machines.

phatak@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Dhananjay S Phatak) (05/09/90)

	I want to know where to get the source code for the c shell whose
binary executable version is in the /usr/new/ directory on ultrix
machines. In particular, i want to know if it can be installed
on SUN and other non ultrix machines.

	i tried unsuccessfully to post this question twice before. I am new to
readnews utilities and would apprecite if someone sends me a reply
via e-mail in response to this question.

	i finally posted this question a while back but did not get the answer.
i am posting it again in the hope that someone will help this time !
the person who originally wrote that shell program
must be on the network. will she/he please
respond ? unix wizards and ultrix gods please help !

my e-mail address : phatak@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu   on internet,
		    phatak@umaecs on bitnet.

In article <968@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu> phatak@umvlsi (Dhananjay S Phatak) writes:

> 	I want to know where to get the source code for the c shell whose
> binary executable version is in the /usr/new/ directory on ultrix
> machines. In particular, i want to know if it can be installed
> on SUN and other non ultrix machines.

You can't -- The Ultrix version is proprietary.

There are patches available for the Sun and BSD 4.3 csh source that do
something very similar, but you must have a Sun or BSD source license
for these to do you any good.

You may be able to obtain a Sun binary if you fish around a little.  I'm
not sure that such distribution is entirly kosher, but I've heard that
it's not too hard to find.

What your are looking for btw, is 'tcsh' or the tenex c-shell, a version
of csh that does command completion.

kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) (05/09/90)

In article <11449@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
   [ about getting tcsh ...]
   You may be able to obtain a Sun binary if you fish around a little.  I'm
   not sure that such distribution is entirly kosher, but I've heard that
   it's not too hard to find.

Distributing the binary is legal.  Copies are on ftp.uu.net in
pub/tcsh.  Personally I prefer the GNU shell bash which has all the
major features of tcsh but comes with the plus of not having to worry
about keeping the csh source from prying eyes, finding the right
version of csh against which to apply the tcsh changes, etc.  It's a
ksh/sh compatible shell, so it's rather nice for those of use who
typically write /bin/sh scripts, but it also has things like a nice
csh-like history, nicer aliases and other goodies.  About the only
thing that bash really lacks is good documentation.
-=-
Rich Kaul                         | "Every man is given the key to the door
kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu    |  of heaven; unfortunately, the same key
or ...!osu-cis!kaul		  |  opens the door to hell."