[comp.unix.questions] Online Unix Help?

omo@mcnc.org (Julie E. Omohundro) (05/30/90)

We'd like to provide our users with online help with Unix.  We'd like
it to be user friendly enough for novices, but comprehensive enough
for experienced users, and to allow access to, not only the material
in the users manual, but also other material that we've developed
inhouse.

Before devoting our energies to developing an online help system
ourselves, we decided to first check for existing software that
might fit our needs.  We're in the process of getting and installing
the most up-to-date version of the help command from Berkeley.
This sounds like what we want, but...we're working under a fiscal
year deadline and don't want to give up searching prematurely.

So:  Anybody out there know of some help software we should check
out?

lauther@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Ulrich Lauther) (05/30/90)

In article <6639@alvin.mcnc.org> omo@mcnc.org (Julie E. Omohundro) writes:

>We'd like to provide our users with online help with Unix.  We'd like
>it to be user friendly enough for novices, but comprehensive enough
>for experienced users, and to allow access to, not only the material
>in the users manual, but also other material that we've developed
>inhouse.

I have found the help-program distributed with the MKS-Software (Korn-Shell
and Unix-like commands for MSDOS) quite helpful, firstly because I have no
man-pages on my small 286-based Xenix system, secondly, because the output
is much more compact, but sufficient if you know what you are looking for,
but just cannot remember all the nitty-gritty options. I include as an
example the output of "help test":

[start citation]
test -- test for condition
Usage:	test expression
Conditional expression consists of:
-r file		file is readable	-w file		file is writable
-d file		file is a directory	-f file		file is a regular file
-x file	[U]	file is executable	-c file	[U]	character special file
-b file	[U]	block special file	-p file	[U]	named pipe (fifo) file
-u file	[U]	file is setuid		-g file	[U]	file is setgid
-k file		file is sticky/system	-s file		file size > 0
-t [fd]		fd (or 1) is terminal	-z string	string length is 0
-n string	string length > 0	str1 = str2	strings are identical
str1 != str2	strings are different	string		string is not empty
n1 -eq n2	integers are equal	n1 -ne n2	integers not equal
n1 -gt n2	integer n1 > n2		n1 -ge n2	integer n1 >= n2
n1 -lt n2	integer n1 < n2		n1 -le n2	integer n1 <= n2
file1 -nt file2	file1 newer than file2	-L file	[U]	file is symbolic link
file1 -ot file2	file1 older than file2
file1 -ef file2 [U]		files have the same device and i-node number
! expression			negation
expression -a expression	true if both expressions true
expression -o expression	true if at least one expression is true
( expression )			grouping expressions

Result is exit status of command.  [U] options are meaningful on UNIX only.
[end citation]

To use this under UNIX, I have written a simple shell script that extracts
the relevant information. (I assume, to use the MKS stuff this way on the
*same* machine I bought the MSDOS software for, does not violate the
licence agreement).
Ulrich Lauther               Internet: lauther@janus.berkeley.edu
Siemens / UCB                ph: +1 415 642 3338 fax: 642 2739