[comp.unix.questions] Communication b/w IBM and UNIX using sockets

vijay@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Vijay Gurbani) (05/31/90)

Hello NetFolks:
Need some help/advice on the following: I am trying to bridge a gap between
a UNIX box and an IBM 4300. I have to access a CICS application on a remote
IBM 4300 (that supposedly has telnet running on it). At my disposal is
a UNIX box. My job is to write a program that logs on to the 4300, accesses
the CICS application and transfers data to and fro the UNIX box. Since this
has to be a program that can be run without operator intervention, my program
should be smart enough to log on the IBM and interact with the CICS
application.
The solution I thought is:  get the port number on which the telnet on the
4300 is running, and open a socket from my UNIX box to the remote 4300. To
the telnet on the 4300, it would appear that the connexion from the UNIX is
being run by a person. So it will send the login and password prompts through
the socket to my UNIX program, which would in turn send the login name and
the password through the socket. Once the connexion is established, data-
flow can occur via the sockets.
Has anyone out there ever come close to duplicating this? Is my solution
okay, or are there any flaws (I am not the remotely familiar with IBM main-
frames, so if there are any flaws above, please let me know). If anyone
has had any experience with this, and are willing to share it....gimme a
try. Thanks in advance......

-vijay
--
Vijay Gurbani           | Joke of the Day:
vijay@ddsw1.mcs.com     |  Q: How do you know a DeLorean has been down a

kjj@varese.UUCP (Kevin Johnson) (06/01/90)

In article <1990May31.040725.22333@ddsw1.MCS.COM> vijay@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Vijay Gurbani) writes:
>Need some help/advice on the following: I am trying to bridge a gap between
>a UNIX box and an IBM 4300. I have to access a CICS application on a remote
>IBM 4300 (that supposedly has telnet running on it).

Out of curiousity, what is the package/hardware providing telnet on the 4300?
Is it an 8232 box?
If so, you may be out of luck :-(

The 8232 (and assoc. software), that 'I' have, accesses a 43xx at the
VM level.  I can't directly log into the 4361 at the CICS level from
a UNIX box using telnet.  Without tn3270 a UNIX box can only get
a line-mode interface into VM, due to the fact that the IBM box WANTS
a 3270-style terminal on the other end of the wire.  I can't even get
data bound for a printer LU over to a network socket to print it on
a UNIX box.

Not being a IBMer, I not in a position to be able attack the problem
from the 43xx side - I can only attack from the UNIX side.
IBM informs me that I am out of luck (this is the condensed, tranlated
version of what they told me).

> [beef deleted]
>Has anyone out there ever come close to duplicating this? Is my solution
>okay, or are there any flaws (I am not the remotely familiar with IBM main-
>frames, so if there are any flaws above, please let me know). If anyone
>has had any experience with this, and are willing to share it....gimme a
>try. Thanks in advance......

If there is someone out there with some insite into the IBM side of this
problem, let's here from them. PLEASE!

#include <standard_disclaimer>
| Kevin Johnson                                      ...!mcdphx!QIS1!kjj      |
| QIS System Administrator  Motorola MCD             kjj@phx.mcd.mot.com      |