[comp.unix.questions] REVISED: How do I send e-mail to lots of users at a remote unix site?

thermal%solgel.hepnet@CSA2.LBL.GOV (05/31/90)

I apologize for my first posting, which did not quite exactly
say what I wanted it to say.  Below is the revised posting,
which I believe now says what I wanted it to say.  Read carefully.
Thanks for your reply.

machine which will automatically mail the message to all on the list,
or sending one message to the remote machine and somehow instruct it
to distribute the message to all the users).  Obviously, I'm not a
unix guru or wizard, so make your explanation understandable, please.

Thanks, Dana

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (06/01/90)

ines: 28

In article <900531093335.30e0f102@Csa2.LBL.Gov>, thermal%solgel writes:
| I would like to be able to send a mail message to all the users on
| ANOTHER unix machine via Internet.  Of course, I could do it the long
| and tedious way, that is, by sending a mail message to each user, one
| at a time.  Is there a quicker way? (it seems to me there could be two
| or three different ways, such as setting up a mailing list file on my
| machine which will automatically mail the message to all on the list,
| or sending one message to the remote machine and somehow instruct it
| to distribute the message to all the users).  Obviously, I'm not a
| unix guru or wizard, so make your explanation understandable, please.

Write postmaster@at.that.site.  Tell him/her that you are looking for
an alias that people that want general announcements are on.  If
he/she does not give one to you, then *DON'T* send mail to that site.
It's *rude* to send a lot of unsolicited junk mail to a bunch of
people just because they have an account on a system.

When I want junk mail, I read it in bulk, via UseNet. :-)

Kidding aside, why don't you just post your announcement in an
*appropriate* news group?  That's a lot of what Usenet was made for.

Just another news admin,
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) (06/01/90)

In article <1990May31.171127.11615@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:
>In article <900531093335.30e0f102@Csa2.LBL.Gov>, thermal%solgel writes:
>| I would like to be able to send a mail message to all the users on
>| ANOTHER unix machine via Internet.  Of course, I could do it the long

>Write postmaster@at.that.site.  Tell him/her that you are looking for
>an alias that people that want general announcements are on.  If

Isn't mailing msgs@hostname the standard thing to do when you want all of the
people on the site to see your message?

			-Kartik

--
subbarao@{phoenix,bogey or gauguin}.Princeton.EDU -|Internet
kartik@silvertone.Princeton.EDU (NeXT mail)       -|

Anselmo-Ed@cs.yale.edu (Ed Anselmo) (06/01/90)

>Write postmaster@at.that.site.  Tell him/her that you are looking for
>an alias that people that want general announcements are on.

Kartik> Isn't mailing msgs@hostname the standard thing to do when you
Kartik> want all of the people on the site to see your message?

In a word -- No.

Like the man said, ask the postmaster at the site for an alias
suitable for general announcements.  Better yet, ask if there's a mail
alias that will be gatewayed into a local newsgroup.
--
Ed Anselmo   anselmo-ed@cs.yale.edu   {harvard,decvax}!yale!anselmo-ed

dankg@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) (06/04/90)

In article <900531093335.30e0f102@Csa2.LBL.Gov> thermal%solgel.hepnet@CSA2.LBL.GOV writes:

>I would like to be able to send a mail message to all the users on
>ANOTHER unix machine via Internet.  Of course, I could do it the long
>and tedious way, that is, by sending a mail message to each user, one
>at a time.  Is there a quicker way? (it seems to me there could be two
>or three different ways, such as setting up a mailing list file on my
>machine which will automatically mail the message to all on the list,
>or sending one message to the remote machine and somehow instruct it
>to distribute the message to all the users).  Obviously, I'm not a
>unix guru or wizard, so make your explanation understandable, please.

	In my last followup, I said "you'd better not do that" and that time
I was assuming you just wanted to batchmail locally.  Now you are asking
for doing it remotely.
	I say "don't do it!"  Batchmail in local site alone is anti-social
enough.  Batch-remote mail sounds as guily as a crime:  It would end up with
clogging network.  One day I posted same article to another newsgroup
(How secure is UNIX?) because I forgot to crosspost and got a dozen mails
criticizing that.  My mistake is nothing compared to what you are tring to
do.
	And to make matters worse, it could be as easy as the case of local
batchmailing:  The only thing you need is list of address and there are
many ways to do that:  I don't think you can get remote list unless you have
the remote account and read access to /etc/passwd or yp but still this can
be resolved if you have a friend in remote site and have her/him mail the
list to you.
	The only thing we can depend on net traffic is conscience of each users
so far.  I can't criticize you because I am not 100% innocent but the fact
remains.
	Plus why do you need it?  We already have netnews if you need to
broadcast something.  Please don't abuse e-mails.

____  __  __    + Dan The "ex-con" Man
____| ______ 	+ Voice:	+1 415-549-6111
|     |__|__|	+ USnail:	1730 Laloma Berkeley, CA 94709 U.S.A
    |____|____	+ "What's the biggest U.S. export to Japan?"
  \_|    |      + "Bullshit.  It makes the best fertilizer for their rice"