[comp.unix.questions] The famous inews error

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (06/03/90)

  Ok I give in.  What causes the error message from 'inews'

  inews: Article rejected: palowoda included more text than new text
  Article appended to /usr/palowoda/dead.article

 ---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (06/07/90)

palowoda@fiver.uucp writes:
     Ok I give in.  What causes the error message from 'inews'
     inews: Article rejected: palowoda included more text than new text

You're posting a followup and you have more lines of quoted text (that
is, lines beginning with `>') than you have lines of original text of
your own.  You should quote less; quote just enough to give context
about what it is that you're following up.  Alternatively, on those
rare occasions when you truly do need to quote a lot (the occasions
when it's _needed_ are darn rare), change the quoting scheme you use.
Some people change `>' to `|' or something or that ilk.  I don't use
the `>' quoting scheme in the first place.

It's far, far better to learn not to quote so much than to override
the mechanism.  We don't need to see the entire previous article
included in your followup.

--karl

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (06/07/90)

In article <1059@fiver.UUCP>, palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>   Ok I give in.  What causes the error message from 'inews'
>
>   inews: Article rejected: palowoda included more text than new text
>   Article appended to /usr/palowoda/dead.article
>
>  ---Bob
> Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
> Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400
>      {pacbell}!indetech!fiver!palowoda     |     An XBBS System
> Work {sun,pyramid,decwrl}!megatest!palowoda| 415-623-8806 1200/2400/19.2k TB+

inews wants you to include more original text than regurgitated text.  It's
trying to police you by telling you that the intent of including text from
a previous article is to jog people's memories about that article, not merely
to repost the whole thing with a few added comments.  This aspect of inews'
behaviour was created to try to keep the bandwidth of the net down.

--
  .-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 / [- O] Rick Stevens (All opinions are mine. Everyone ignores them anyway.) \

aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul D. Crowley) (06/09/90)

rick@tmiuv0.uucp sez in <2193@tmiuv0.uucp>
|In article <1059@fiver.UUCP>, palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
|>   Ok I give in.  What causes the error message from 'inews'
|>
|>   inews: Article rejected: palowoda included more text than new text
|>   Article appended to /usr/palowoda/dead.article

|This aspect of inews'
|behaviour was created to try to keep the bandwidth of the net down.

|--
1  .-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
2 / [- O] Rick Stevens (All opinions are mine. Everyone ignores them anyway.) \
3|    ?   +--------------------------------------------------------------------|
4|    V   | uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick             (<-- Work (ugh!))             |
5|--------+ uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop           (<-- Home Unix (better!))     |
6|  uunet!perigrine!ccicpg!conexch!amoeba2!rps2  (<-- Home Amiga (Best!!)      |
7 \ 75006.1355@compuserve.com (CIS: 75006,1355)  (<-- CI$)                    /
9"I was Caesarean born.  When I leave the house, I use the window."
A                                         - Steven Wright

As was the system to restrict .sigs to four lines...

I sometimes wish this program automatically chopped .sigs from included
text unless specifically  told to do otherwise, because it peeves me
when people quote them with no intention of commenting on them.
--
\/ o\ Paul Crowley aipdc@uk.ac.ed.castle
/\__/ "Trust me, I know what I'm doing" - Sledge Hammer