[comp.unix.questions] Detached process saver

jvb7u@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Jon Brinkmann) (06/06/90)

I'm looking for a daemon that periodically checks for user's detached processes
and saves (i.e., dumps a copy of core) to the disk in a temporary file.  If the
system crashes or is shut down, it restores the last copy as a running detached
process belonging to the appropriate user upon reboot.  Ideally, a single program
would handle both phases of this process.  On startup, it checks for copies in
a specific directory and restores them to running condition and then goes on
to do the periodic core copy.

The motivation is obvious.  We have users that run detached process as 'batch'
jobs.  These jobs run for days and if the system goes down may hours of CPU time
are lost.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Jon

--
Jon Brinkmann					Astronomy Department
Internet:	jvb7u@Virginia.EDU		University of Virginia

src@scuzzy.uucp (Source Admin) (06/09/90)

jvb7u@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Jon Brinkmann) writes:
>I'm looking for a daemon that periodically checks for user's detached processes
>and saves (i.e., dumps a copy of core) to the disk in a temporary file.  If the
>system crashes or is shut down, it restores the last copy as a running detached
>process belonging to the appropriate user upon reboot.  Ideally, a single program
>would handle both phases of this process.  On startup, it checks for copies in
>a specific directory and restores them to running condition and then goes on
>to do the periodic core copy.
>Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

sure is: you'll need to make executables out of those core files. for that
you can use 'undump', it's included in the tex distribution. note, however, that
you can only undump cores from prgms that have NOT been stripped.

--
Heiko Blume		blume@scuzzy.UUCP	FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28	blume@netmbx.UUCP	VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93