[comp.unix.questions] Cannot umount /usr filesystem

jmcook@jorel.UUCP (joel m. cook) (06/08/90)

For the past few weeks I have been unable to take the system into
single user mode (telinit s or telinit 1)
or even to shutdown without scragging /usr because when the attempt is made
by either the system or I to unmount it,
it's always "busy".  I have used telinit s
and then attempted to maually unmount it, but no luck.  Using ps to
see what's busy has been no use, and fuser reports no files in use
on /dev/dsk/1s3, which is the device/partition it's on.  I first noticed
the problem a few weeks ago after massive damage to the root filesystem
caused by bad memory-induced "PANIC's".  Now, I am  unable to unmount
/usr, which means that any shutdown results in fsck being invoked etc.
Any help will be much appreciated, e.g., is there a problem with /usr
being on the second disk (don't see why)? how can I find out (since
fuser gives no help) why umount thinks it's busy?

Thanks for any pointers in the right direction!
--
			Joel M. Cook
			jmcook@jorel.apldmt.com

First off, when you ask for help, don't do:

It gets people mad when inews refuses to place the article into
the newsgroup "poster".  They may not take the time to go back
and fix it.

If you would prefer an email response, specify so at the end of your
posting and most people will adhere to it (unless they think it is
a subject that many people would be interested in).

In article <267@jorel.UUCP> jmcook@jorel.UUCP (joel m. cook) writes:
   [ problem of /usr not being unmounted deleted ]
>Any help will be much appreciated, e.g., is there a problem with /usr
>being on the second disk (don't see why)? how can I find out (since
>fuser gives no help) why umount thinks it's busy?

1. What does ps -ef say (i.e. what processes are running)?
2. Do you have any other file systems mounted on top of /usr?
3. Are you sure that you are not in /usr

I don't think fuser is *guaranteed* to find every process on the file
system (it does do a pretty good job though).  I seem to recall some
situations where fuser didn't find processes on the file system.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

drich@dialogic.com (Dan Rich) (06/11/90)

I have run into this problem myself, and have gone through all of the
obvious solutions.  I have checked for processes with both fuser, and
ps.  But, I did have an idea late last night that I haven't had the
time to check on yet.

Is it possible that the accounting package still has files open in
/usr?  If so, does anyone know of a way to stop the accounting to
prevent this?  I assume I would just need to create a "kill" script in
/etc/rc0.d with the /usr/lib/acct/shutacct command (or just copy
/usr/lib/acct/shutacct to /etc/rc0.d/S??acct).  Any comments?

--
Dan Rich                    | drich@dialogic.com  || ...!uunet!dialogic!drich
UNIX Systems Administrator  | "Danger, you haven't seen the last of me!"