[net.cooks] Pairing chocolate desserts and wine

broder@magic.DEC.COM (Andrei Broder) (03/11/86)

I never found a very good pairing of the form [dessert containing
chocolate, wine].  Any suggestions?

Let me state that "Very good" means that  food and wine are mutually
enhanced.

Some examples of very good pairings are: [Blancmange, Sauternes],
[tart with oranges, Muscat de Beaume de Venise], [``Tuiles'' (a sort
of dry cookies) with nuts, Sherry ``oloroso''].

A stellar combination I tried a few month ago was a warm upside down
tart (Tarte `Tatin') with apples and quinces (based on a recipe from
the ``Chez Panisse Desserts Cookbook'') and a chilled Sauterne.  The
Sauterne was good but not outstanding by itself, but with the tart
was wonderful.

One interesting pairing containing chocolate is [sauteed quails with
bitter chocolate sauce, a chocolaty-tasting burgundy], but few people
like it for dessert.

- Andrei

P.S. I will post recipes if there is enough interest in any of the
dishes mentioned.

andy@tolerant.UUCP (Andy Laursen) (03/13/86)

> I never found a very good pairing of the form [dessert containing
> chocolate, wine].  Any suggestions?

Next time you have a good California Cabernet with dinner,
save a glass, then for dessert, try the wine along with some really good
bittersweet chocolate.  This is the PERFECT wine for chocolate!

						Andy Laursen
						Tolerant Systems
						... ucbvax!tolerant!andy

clark@sdics.UUCP (Clark Quinn) (03/14/86)

My girlfriend insists that semi-sweet chocolate and Port go together better
than anything else she can think of.  I don't know about for bitter-sweet
chocolate, but I have to agree with her for the semi-sweet.

-- Clark

 Clark N. Quinn
 Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
 University of California, San Diego
 La Jolla, California 92093
 (619) 452-2541 (UCSD): (619) 457-1274 (Home)
 {ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdics!clark.uucp  OR  clark@nprdc.arpa

guy@slu70.UUCP (03/14/86)

In article <262@magic.DEC.COM>, broder@magic.DEC.COM (Andrei Broder) writes:

> I never found a very good pairing of the form [dessert containing
> chocolate, wine].  Any suggestions?
>
> Let me state that "Very good" means that  food and wine are mutually
> enhanced.

I don't know how well they would work but how about some of the German
dessert wines, Beerenauslese etc.. I tend to prefer liqueurs with dessert
myself.

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (03/17/86)

> I never found a very good pairing of the form [dessert containing
> chocolate, wine].  Any suggestions?

Desert Zinfandels (also called "Late Harvest") are very good with
chocolate, especially bittersweet chocolate.

Also, Quadi Essencia, an orange muscat, is very good with lighter
(non-bittersweet) chocolate.

		Ken Arnold