[net.cooks] Recipe for Bittersweet Brownies

jin@hropus.UUCP (Bear) (03/15/86)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MASSAGE ***

At least one respondant to my Chocolate and Beer posting asked for this
recipe.  I'm too lazy to convert to mod.recipes format and besides,
coming from a copywrited source, I believe this recipe can not be
included.  The source is Bon Appetite, probably 7-10 years ago.
I've excluded the frosting which I never tryed and I think is excessive
(did I say excessive negatively concerning chocolate?)

Bittersweet Brownies

350 degrees, 40-45 minutes (or less), 9 by 13 greased pan, yield 40

1.5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
7 oz cocoa
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

1 1/3 cups butter (part shortening okay)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/4 cup corn syrup
2 tsp vanilla

2 cups coarsely chopped nuts (optional, they specify toasted almonds)

Preheat oven and grease pan.  Sift first group of ingrediants.
Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time, then corn syrup and
vanilla.  Beat well and add nuts.  Spead into prepared pan and bake
for 40 to 45 minutes (they lie, it seems to take 30-35, at least in
pyrex at 325).  DO NOT OVER-BAKE.  These brownies are still soft in
the middle when done, the edges will be slightly firm.  Let cool
completely in the pan or they will turn to mush when you cut them.

I remember once being so stoned when I made these that I
misinterpreted cups of butter for sticks (of butter, not of Thai).
The brownies came out fine, this recipe is probably too rich
(did I say that about chocolate, yea gods, I must be on a diet!)
--
			Jerry Natowitz
			ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jin (official)

anita@utastro.UUCP (Anita Cochran) (03/17/86)

In article <354@hropus.UUCP>, jin@hropus.UUCP (Bear) writes:
> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MASSAGE ***
>
> At least one respondant to my Chocolate and Beer posting asked for this
> recipe.  I'm too lazy to convert to mod.recipes format and besides,
> coming from a copywrited source, I believe this recipe can not be
> included.  The source is Bon Appetite, probably 7-10 years ago.
 {then a recipe follows this part in his message}

I don't understand why he thought that copyrighted material was not
appropriate for mod.recipes but is appropriate for net.cooks.  Both
are being reproduced and distributed.  If you read the copyright blurb
at the front of cookbooks, it states that the material may not be
reproduced in any way.  In general, various rulings on copyrighted
material has said that it is okay to make a single copy for personal
use but multiple copies or distributing it (even if by electronic means)
is a no-no.  There are many times people on net.coooks have asked
for recipes I have but since the source is copyrighted I do not
feel that it is proper to distribute them.  A pointer to the recipe
in the cookbook is the appropriate response.

This may be a too simple understanding of the copyright laws but I believe
not.  I welcome a discussion of this point (and will cross-post this
to net.legal if I can get it to work).  Remember that if you published
a cookbook, you would feel that you were entitled to the royalties too.
--
 Anita Cochran  uucp:  {noao, ut-sally, ut-ngp}!utastro!anita
                arpa:  anita@astro.UTEXAS.EDU