[comp.unix.questions] Modem

rich@tincan.sawyer.af.mil (Richard Wachter) (06/12/90)

	Well here goes. I've got a AT&T 3B2/600g running UNIX System V
3.2. I have a Zenith modem connected to one of the tty ports. After many
hours of trial and error it works just great. However if for some reason
you lose the connection it does not log the person off. It does reset the
modem but if you call back it doesn't ask for a login it takes you back to
the same place you left. This is great if no one calls in between your
disconnect and your reconnect. Cause if they do they become you and don't
have to login.
	If anyone out there can help with this please send me some mail.

SRA Richard Wachter
rich@tincan.sawyer.af.mil          (132.39.2.1)
2001csxp@sacemnet.af.mil           (26.17.0.144)

smarc@wb3ffv.ampr.org (Marc Siegel) (06/15/90)

In article <23608@adm.BRL.MIL>, rich@tincan.sawyer.af.mil (Richard Wachter) writes:

> 	Well here goes. I've got a AT&T 3B2/600g running UNIX System V
> 3.2. I have a Zenith modem connected to one of the tty ports. After many
> hours of trial and error it works just great. However if for some reason
> you lose the connection it does not log the person off. It does reset the
> modem but if you call back it doesn't ask for a login it takes you back to
> the same place you left. This is great if no one calls in between your
> disconnect and your reconnect. Cause if they do they become you and don't
> have to login.
> 	If anyone out there can help with this please send me some mail.
>
> SRA Richard Wachter
> rich@tincan.sawyer.af.mil          (132.39.2.1)
> 2001csxp@sacemnet.af.mil           (26.17.0.144)

Check the gettydefs entry you are using with uugetty. it should
contain HUPCL in the entry.

HUPCL causes the session to terminate (HANGUP) on close.

You may want to make your own gettydefs entry for the modem
although I think HUPCL should be in _all_ the entries.

       _                                 |   Marc Siegel
      ' )--,--,                          |   Randallstown, Maryland
       /  /  / __.  __  _                |   {uunet}!wb3ffv!mas!smarc
      /  /  (_(_/|_/ (_(_'               |   smarc@mas.wb3ffv.AMPR.ORG

In article <3608@wb3ffv.ampr.org> smarc@wb3ffv.ampr.org (Marc Siegel) writes:
>In article <23608@adm.BRL.MIL>, rich@tincan.sawyer.af.mil (Richard Wachter) writes:
>>
>>	[ problem of system not logging out user when line is dropped deleted]
>
>Check the gettydefs entry you are using with uugetty. it should
>contain HUPCL in the entry.
>
>HUPCL causes the session to terminate (HANGUP) on close.

However, it requires that the port on which the user logs in to be set up in
modem control mode (i.e. it requires DTR from the modem to enable the
login).  The loss of DTR is the mechanism used by the system to determine
when the line is lost.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

bill@twg.UUCP (Bill Irwin) (06/16/90)

In article <1990Jun15.224120.27813@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>However, it requires that the port on which the user logs in to be set up in
>modem control mode (i.e. it requires DTR from the modem to enable the
>login).  The loss of DTR is the mechanism used by the system to determine
>when the line is lost.

I've  always thought that it was the computer that asserted DTR when  the
port  was  enabled and ready to spawn a getty, as soon as CD is  present.
If  DTR isn't true, the modem's auto answer is disabled until the port is
ready  (DTR  true).   Once the modem connects and asserts CD,  the  getty
comes  up.   If the line is lost, CD goes, and any orphaned processes  on
the port are killed if HUPCL is on.

Isn't this right or am I totally out to luch?
--
Bill Irwin - TWG The Westrheim Group - Vancouver, BC, Canada
uunet!van-bc!twg!bill     (604) 431-9600 (voice) |     UNIX Systems

david@cs.uow.edu.au (David E A Wilson) (06/16/90)

bill@twg.UUCP (Bill Irwin) writes:

>I've  always thought that it was the computer that asserted DTR when  the
>port  was  enabled and ready to spawn a getty, as soon as CD is  present.
>If  DTR isn't true, the modem's auto answer is disabled until the port is
>ready  (DTR  true).   Once the modem connects and asserts CD,  the  getty
>comes  up.   If the line is lost, CD goes, and any orphaned processes  on
>the port are killed if HUPCL is on.

I have seen two ways in which DTR is used to control a modem.

1)	With auto answer modems, computer asserts DTR and getty blocks
	waiting for DCD. When modem answers and detects carrier, it asserts
	DCD, getty unblocks and login message is displayed.  User logs in.
	Either user logs out, in which case on final close DTR is
	deasserted for a short time causing modem to hang up.
	OR connection is broken, DCD from modem drops, shell gets hangup
	signal and closes port which again deasserts DTR briefly.

	The procedure then repeats.

2)	With "dumb" modems the computer must monitor RI (ring indicate)
	After the appropriate number of rings are detected, DTR is asserted
	and the modem goes off hook and the connection is made with the
	remote modem.
	Again, the modem is hung up by deasserting DTR but this time until
	RI indicates another call is coming in.

David Wilson	david@wraith.cs.uow.edu.au