[comp.unix.questions] Security for UNIX ... looking for crypt

pwendt@neon.UUCP (Patrick Wendt) (06/05/90)

Hi !

I'm searching for the original C-source of the crypt()-routine
which crypts the passwords for /etc/passwd. - I've written several
crypt-programs for other mashines and even such non-recursive-
algorithms, but I've never seen the original UNIX-crypt()-algo ...

Does someone have some information how THIS algo works ...?!?!
A source-code of the crypt() would be very welcome ...

   Greetings ... Pat !

- Domain: root@chamber.UUCP (pwendt@chamber.UUCP) ; Zombie's Burial Chamber -
- Bang .: ..!ira.uka.de!smurf!gopnbg!tmpmbx!einoed!utopia!neon!chamber!root -
-   Human Zombie   ; Alternate: pwendt@neon.UUCP ;  Neon Research Caboose   -
- (Patrick  Wendt) ; .!tmpmbx!einoed!utopia!neon!pwendt ; Berlin, W-Germany -
         Earth 2147, the legacy of the metal wars,
                   when men fought machine, and machine won ...

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (06/09/90)

In article <1139@neon.UUCP> pwendt@neon.UUCP (Patrick Wendt) writes:

>I'm searching for the original C-source of the crypt()-routine
>which crypts the passwords for /etc/passwd. - I've written several
>crypt-programs for other mashines and even such non-recursive-
>algorithms, but I've never seen the original UNIX-crypt()-algo ...

The export of encryption technology is covered by law and regulation
with the intent that it not fall into the "wrong hands". West Germany,
as a member of COCOM, has similar restrictions.

Not only is the source code to crypt covered by these restrictions, one
can not even export the BINARIES except to certain countries, and even
then often requires an export license. If you ever get access to this
stuff, you probably shouldn't have. 8-)

e89hse@rigel.efd.lth.se (06/11/90)

In article <56@raysnec.UUCP>, shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
>In article <1139@neon.UUCP> pwendt@neon.UUCP (Patrick Wendt) writes:
>>
>>I'm searching for the original C-source of the crypt()-routine
>>which crypts the passwords for /etc/passwd. - I've written several
>>crypt-programs for other mashines and even such non-recursive-
>>algorithms, but I've never seen the original UNIX-crypt()-algo ...
>
>The export of encryption technology is covered by law and regulation
>with the intent that it not fall into the "wrong hands". West Germany,
>as a member of COCOM, has similar restrictions.

 But are even the stuff to crypt() macros covered by that COCO-stuff. I know
crypt(1) is covered but crypt(2) is used by most systems for the pwd file.
Anyhow does anyone have a C-source to a program that can crupt ASC-II files
with reasonable security using a keyword or something like that. Is there any
encryption standard when one want to send E-mail?

 Henrik Sandell

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/12/90)

In article <56@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
>>I'm searching for the original C-source of the crypt()-routine
>>which crypts the passwords for /etc/passwd.
>The export of encryption technology is covered by law and regulation
>with the intent that it not fall into the "wrong hands".
>Not only is the source code to crypt covered by these restrictions, one
>can not even export the BINARIES except to certain countries, ...

Of course this neglects some relevant facts:
	crypt() is just DES with a minor tweak.
	DES has been published.
	crypt() has been described in technical journals.
	Public-domain reimplementations of crypt() are available.
	UNIX crypt() used to be shipped unrestricted before
	the lawyers got involved and started to worry about it.
The export control concerns are solely due to legal considerations
and government bureaucracy, not because anyone is seriously worried
about crypt() "falling into the wrong hands".

bai@iesd.auc.dk (Bo Nygaard Bai) (06/13/90)

In article <13087@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>The export control concerns are solely due to legal considerations
>and government bureaucracy, not because anyone is seriously worried
>about crypt() "falling into the wrong hands".

Don't forget protectionism. This is, as i see it, the only possible reason.

What is an algorithm with export restrictions doing in UNIX ?

Secure NFS, mail etc. uses some form of the DES algorithm. When a SUN
workstation leaves the US it has no des(1) or crypt(1), and no DES
chip. This makes it virtually impossible to use secure NFS.

If DES can't be used outside of the US, then no part of UNIX software
should depend on it. DES must be be released globally, or be removed
totally from UNIX and replaced by a globally available encryption
standard.

--
.___ o .__ |         | Bo Nygaard Bai  | Department of Computer Science ,_//(
|__. | |   |/        |                 | University of Aalborg (AUC)   /  |  \

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (06/13/90)

In article <BAI.90Jun12185622@dirac.iesd.auc.dk> bai@iesd.auc.dk (Bo Nygaard Bai) writes:

   In article <13087@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
   >The export control concerns are solely due to legal considerations
   >and government bureaucracy, not because anyone is seriously worried
   >about crypt() "falling into the wrong hands".

   Don't forget protectionism. This is, as i see it, the only possible reason.

Rubbish. What Doug Gwyn says above is absolutely right.

Software to implement DES has been openly published and the DES
specification will be available from any decent reference library.
What could possibly be protectionist about something that is so freely
available? DES is anything but a trade or military secret.

   What is an algorithm with export restrictions doing in UNIX ?

Crypt(1) and crypt(3) have been around in UNIX for far longer than the
US export regulations on encryption software. The crypt() routine
continues to be exported by US vendors since it is used for login
authentication rather than encryption.

   Secure NFS, mail etc. uses some form of the DES algorithm. When a SUN
   workstation leaves the US it has no des(1) or crypt(1), and no DES
   chip. This makes it virtually impossible to use secure NFS.

This is no bad thing considering how insecure "secure" NFS is.

		Jim

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/26/90)

In <13224@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
|In article <25087@mimsy.umd.edu> chris@mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
|>Apparently, no one may ship any DES code out of the US, even if the
|>code was obtained from outside the US in the first place.
|
|Sure you can, but you have to get an export license first.
|Export licenses will be issued upon request for products containing
|DES, although only on a unit item basis (i.e. not a blanket license).
|
|The folks enforcing the laws cannot reasonably be blamed for the
|stupidity of the laws.

Unfortunately, they are not laws, but regulations.

It's usually easier to get laws changed.

	/rich $alz, who once tried to legally export DES after a
	minor mistake in what used to be called mod.sources
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.