[comp.unix.questions] How to delete a file with "/" in the name?

als@bohra.cpg.oz (Anthony Shipman) (06/28/90)

> In article <22472@boulder.Colorado.EDU> garnett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Santiago de la Paz) writes:
> >We have recently encountered a problem which, by all rights, should be
> >not be possible....  there are four files in a user's directory which
> >have a forward-slash ("/") IN THEIR NAMES.   We have traced their origin
> >to a pesky little box that allows Macintoshes to treat unix filesystems
> >like MacHardDisks (yeek!), but the Macs refuse to listen to reason and
> >will not delete the files -- even though _they_ created them.  We've tried
> >to rm them, but -- of course -- csh thinks that they are directories, so
> >it tries to descend them and dies a whining death in the process.

If this happened on a Sys V system you could use clri to zap the inode given
the file system name and inode number. Then unmount and use fsck to patch the
hole you've just blown in the directory.
--
Anthony Shipman                               ACSnet: als@bohra.cpg.oz.au
Computer Power Group