[comp.unix.questions] looking for a unix system call

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/27/90)

In article <1858@vela.acs.oakland.edu> bminnebo@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brian P. Minnebo) writes:
>I not sure I want to use pause or sleep, since I don't want
>the process to be restarted at any particular time, I just want the
>process to be rescheduled as if it naturally finished out its time slice.

While there's no particular system call to do this, sleep(0) would be
an obvious candidate.  Also, any system call provides an opportunity
for the kernel to schedule other processes, so a cheap one like getpid()
might suffice.

>Also, any system call provides an opportunity for the kernel to
>schedule other processes, so a cheap one like getpid()
>might suffice.

Assuming he doesn't necessarily want a *guarantee* that the process will
relinquish its time slice; if he does, he's probably out of luck, unless
the vendor has added such a call.