[comp.unix.questions] mkfifo

trw@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Weil timothy) (06/28/90)

is the basic difference here that mknod creates
FIFOs for superuser only and mkfifo is available
to all users?  Are these routines specific to BSD
or does Sys V have them as well.  Any examples
will be appreciated...thanks

karish@mindcrf.UUCP (06/29/90)

In article <5827@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> trw@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu
(Weil timothy) writes:
>is the basic difference here that mknod creates
>FIFOs for superuser only and mkfifo is available
>to all users?  Are these routines specific to BSD
>or does Sys V have them as well.

The third edition of the SVID includes both the mkfifo() function and
the mkfifo utility.  These are also in the POSIX 1003.1 and 1003.2
standards, respectively, so future OS releases from all vendors that
conform to POSIX and to X/Open guidelines will have them.

Vanilla 4.3 BSD doesn't have either mkfifo() or mkfifo.
--

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000

mercer@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COMDan Mercer) (06/29/90)

In article <5827@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> trw@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Weil timothy) writes:
:is the basic difference here that mknod creates
:FIFOs for superuser only and mkfifo is available
:to all users?  Are these routines specific to BSD
:or does Sys V have them as well.  Any examples
:will be appreciated...thanks
:

There is no mkfifo on my SYSV.  Mknod is superuser only unless one is
making a fifo.
--

Dan Mercer
"MAN - the only one word oxymoron in the English Language"

>is the basic difference here that mknod creates
>FIFOs for superuser only and mkfifo is available
>to all users?

I should hope not; S5 as supplied by AT&T (BSD doesn't have FIFOs yet,
although I expect it to in 4.4BSD if they make it POSIX-compliant)
allows anybody to use "mknod" (either the command or the routine) to
make FIFOs, although only the super-user can make other kinds of special
files.  "mkfifo()" in S5 is probably just a wrapper around "mknod()".