[comp.unix.questions] Using cpio and a tape drive

spotter@desire.wright.edu (06/29/90)

I have a question concerning using cpio to store files on a tape drive.  I have
just been learning this process so that I can teach those here at work how to
do it.  I thought I had it working, until I quit, came back and tried to put
more files on the tape.  It went to the beginning of the tape and started from
the beginning, erasing everything I already had on there.  Is there an option
that can be used to make cpio read to the last file, and begin after it?  Or
can I never put more files on a tape without destroying the old ones?

Thanks you,
Stephen Potter
spotter@desire.wright.edu  <==soon maybe changing to presto@desire
spotter@eve.wright.edu

pag@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com (Philip A. Gross) (07/03/90)

spotter@desire.wright.edu writes:

>I have a question concerning using cpio to store files on a tape drive.  I have
>just been learning this process so that I can teach those here at work how to
>do it.  I thought I had it working, until I quit, came back and tried to put
>more files on the tape.  It went to the beginning of the tape and started from
>the beginning, erasing everything I already had on there.  Is there an option
>that can be used to make cpio read to the last file, and begin after it?  Or
>can I never put more files on a tape without destroying the old ones?

If you are using AT&T UNIX SVR4.0 and above, then this feature is available
by using the -A option.  However, according to the manual, it is only
applicable to disk-based cpio files.  Otherwise, if you are using some
previous release of UNIX, your SOL.

Philip A. Gross       The Computer Solution Co., Inc.       Voice: 804-794-3491
INTERNET:	pag@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
USENET:		...!tcsc3b2!pag
UUCP:		tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
        << I haven't heard what I have to say about that yet. >> :-)