[net.cooks] Andy Beals Makes Cookies

booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) (03/09/86)

At this very minute, Mr. Beals (who resembles a hippie lumberjack)
is making cookies for me (and himself). He was assiduously scanning
net.cooks and net.veg, claiming he did so to collect recipies. I told
him I thought it was cute that he did so. He looked at me quizzically.
I went on to say it was funny to see such a large "studly" person collect
recipies so methodically (despite society's opinions).

He said, "Who's going to give me shit about that?" (He can be so artic-
ulate) and *challenged* me to post this datum to post it "right now!" (adding
Go ahead! Use my terminal!) So, dear readers, I leave it to you. Is it not
unique that a 6'1" lumberhacker would collect recipies? I think it is. Of
course, I am the Great Top Ramen chef of Oakland so it could be a survival
mechanism on his part.

*****

*SNIFF* *SNIFF* "Better not have too many onions in there!"

benson@dcdwest.UUCP (Peter Benson) (03/09/86)

Good sense should stop me before I respond to this, but then I
have never been known for good sense.

That Andy Beals is 6'1" and collects recipes is far from
unique.  Many men I know enjoy cooking and collect the
occasional recipe.  Size has little to do with it; I am in
fact larger than  Mr. Beals and have been cooking for myself
for almost 20 years.  Gender should have little to do with
interest in cooking, but probably does.

In any event, I thought it was precious that you brought
this cookie question to the attention of the net.  I can
picture the romantic afternoon, baking cookies, jotting off
notes to the net. Sigh.

                                _
Peter Benson                    | ITT Defense Communications Division
(619)578-3080                   | 10060 Carroll Canyon Road
decvax!ittvax!dcdwest!benson    | San Diego, CA 92131
ucbvax!sdcsvax!dcdwest!benson   |
dcdwest!benson@SDCSVAX.EDU      |

--
                                _

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/10/86)

In article <1304@lll-crg.ARpA>, booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) writes:
> Go ahead! Use my terminal!) So, dear readers, I leave it to you. Is it not
> unique that a 6'1" lumberhacker would collect recipies? I think it is. Of
> course, I am the Great Top Ramen chef of Oakland so it could be a survival
> mechanism on his part.

  I don't know.  I'm not 6'1"...more like 5'10".  Before I had my hair
tragically hacked off for a *(ugh*) job interview, it was 1/2 way to my
arse.  Many people who meet me assume that I am a "biker" (fascinating
stereotype, that...) because I have a large belly (they assume beer), am
quite muscular, weighing in at 275 (lately...down from 293).  I am, as
one friend puts it, "burly".  I am also about as gentle as they come,
loving, intelligent (I think/hope) and reasonably well educated.  I couldn't
be further from the "biker" stereotype if I tried (well, I suppose I *COULD*,
but it wouldn't be easy).

   Anyhow, to the point (he said, not wishing to be labelled as a verbose
fool):  I share a house with a woman and her 6 1/2 year old daughter.  I do most
of the cooking, because I enjoy it and because I am good at it.  I collect
recipes.  I bake.  I sew (though not so much since the carpal tunnel problems
started).  I am heterosexual (primarily...another story for another time).

   So what's so suprising?  (of course, I have a feeling Andy Beals won't
be thrilled to see this (Andy is the man to whom Elaine is referring) as
he and I have recently traded some decidedly unfriendly letters, and I
suspect that his opinion of me is at least as low as my opinion of him,
at present)

--

====================================

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

jin@hropus.UUCP (Bear) (03/10/86)

Didn't see any smiley faces there, so either I'm too stupid to
recognise a patently joking posting or you're serious.

No it isn't ridiculous for a 6'1" lumberhacker to collect recipes:
I'm 6'0", looked like a hippie lumberjack during my college years
(I drew the line at suspenders and a bra (:-) ), have a collection
of cookbooks that take up 10' of shelf, and a cubic foot of unsorted
recipe clippings.  I am currently a systems programmer so I guess
I'm a lumberhacker??

A women's place is *not* in my kitchen (except to clean (:-) ).
--
			Jerry Natowitz
			ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jin (official)

jcw@loral.UUCP (What's all this, then?) (03/10/86)

In article <1304@lll-crg.ARpA> booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) writes:
>At this very minute, Mr. Beals (who resembles a hippie lumberjack)
>is making cookies for me (and himself).
>                            So, dear readers, I leave it to you. Is it not
>unique that a 6'1" lumberhacker would collect recipies? I think it is.

Yea, Andy!
Sheez, Elaine, I think you should enjoy having someone cook for you; I'm
sure Top Ramen get tiring after awhile!
I always figured that to win the affections of a good cook, I would need to
be a pretty decent cook myself.
Anyway, I don't think it's odd, and I don't really think it's too unique.
Some men just get tired of eating Swanson's and instant potatoes!

-Add a little spice,
Cary DiWhay

purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) (03/11/86)

>In article <1304@lll-crg.ARpA>, booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) writes:
> Go ahead! Use my terminal!) So, dear readers, I leave it to you. Is it not
> unique that a 6'1" lumberhacker would collect recipies? I think it is. Of
> course, I am the Great Top Ramen chef of Oakland so it could be a survival
> mechanism on his part.

	Well, after reading so many of Andy's postings it's nice to get a
visual picture.
	My current beau is 6'4" with rather broad sholders. He loves to
cook, although I think it's related to his love for eating. ;-) He tells
me fairly frequently about phone calls he makes to his mother to clarify
things on recipes that she's given him. I admit, I find it rather
amusing.
	My former boyfriend (and current good friend and neighbor) is
6'5". (I don't know why I get tall men all the time - I'm only 5'4".)
Anyway, he loves to cook even more than my current beau. He once printed
up *every* recipe that was in net.cooks. The printout took over 15
minutes and was about 3 inches thick. He also likes to sew (he still
does mine for me occasionally if I threaten or bribe). I used to find
all of this amusing, but I think I've grown used to it.
	So I guess that the situation isn't all that unique, but it is
funny that we (meaning at least Elaine and I) are still surprised by
large men who like to cook, sew, or whatever domestic task comes to
mind. I mean, when another male friend of mine, who is exactly my
height, insisted on helping me make my coq au vin a couple of weeks ago
it didn't surprised me at all. "Why is this?" she ponders
philosophically as she prepares to quit procrastinating and get to her
paper on Freud...

	Share and enjoy -

		elizabeth g. purtell

		(Lady Godiva)

mmm@mako.UUCP (Michelle Manning) (03/11/86)

>In article <1304@lll-crg.ARpA>, booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) writes:
> Go ahead! Use my terminal!) So, dear readers, I leave it to you. Is it not
> unique that a 6'1" lumberhacker would collect recipies? I think it is. Of
> course, I am the Great Top Ramen chef of Oakland so it could be a survival
> mechanism on his part.

Well, I couldn't resist putting in my two cents worth!

I get some interesting reactions when, in conversation, it is mentioned
that my husband is what he affectionately terms a "house-hubby".  This
means that he does *all* the housework, laundry, cooking, etc.  It turns
out (not surprisingly) that he is a much better cook than I am, and also
loves to eat good food.  It also works out well, since I both work full-
time days and go to school full-time in the evenings (12-15 credits/term).

What *is* surprising (actually funny) is the reaction he gets when people
first meet him, having already formed a mental picture of a somewhat wimpy
milque-toast type house-husband.  He is 6'3", 290 lbs., bearded, and an
ex-construction worker, and looks it!

Anyway, the main reason I read net.cooks is to glean yummy-sounding
recipes to try out for his collection.  We thank you all!!

yoda@ittatc.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Todd C. Williams [Jedi Knight]) (03/11/86)

>	...it was funny to see such a large "studly" person collect recipies...
>				^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>	...Is it not unique that a 6'1" lumberhacker would collect recipies?

C'mon, Elaine, some of us large studly persons *LOVE* to cook!
I'm 5'11', 200lbs., and I make the best Chicken Cordon Bleu west of the
Atlantic (even if I'm not sure how to spell it), and the best Guac
(Guacamole for those not so cool) this side of the Rio Grande.
Besides, we all know that MEN make the best chefs. :-) :-) :-)
My favorite mod.recipe was the one for Escargo Pizza (a.k.a. Snail 'Za).

> *SNIFF* *SNIFF* "Better not have too many onions in there!"

More onions! More garlic! More Jalepenos!

Ever have Vadalia onions? [Please excuse the spelling]
I think they are also called Maui onions; they are grown only in Maui and
somewhere in Georgia, and they are sweet enough to eat like apples!

Maybe I can make you dinner sometime, Elaine...

Or how about you, Laura?...           ...if you really *are* single...

						-Todd Williams

|  Todd C. Williams			|  "Summer blonds		       |
|  ITT Defense Communications		|   revealing tan lines,	       |
|  Nutley, NJ				|   I'll make more moves than	       |
|  {decvax, et al.}!ittatc!dcdvaxb!tcw	|   ALLIED VAN LINES!"		       |
|  I love to receive e-mail from anyone!|     --from: "I wanna be a lifeguard" |
|					|			by BLOTTO      |

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Mr. Berry) (03/12/86)

>                             So, dear readers, I leave it to you. Is it not
> unique that a 6'1" lumberhacker would collect recipies? I think it is.

Of course not.  Now, a baker collecting fallen trees....

> *SNIFF* *SNIFF* "Better not have too many onions in there!"

Oooooohhhh!  Onion cookies!  My favorite!

"Uncle Dick, are any of the kids in your books named Mitch?"
"Uh, actually, most of my characters tend to be hand tools."
		Scott J. Berry		ihnp4!hou2g!scott

guy@slu70.UUCP (03/12/86)

In article <1304@lll-crg.ARpA>, booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) writes:
> So, dear readers, I leave it to you. Is it not
> unique that a 6'1" lumberhacker would collect recipies?

As a former Pissfire Willy (Forest Service Employee), I'm prepared to believe
almost anything about loggers -:).

pooh@unirot.UUCP (Pooh) (03/13/86)

In article <2745@reed.UUCP> purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) writes:
>	My current beau is 6'4" with rather broad sholders. . . .
>
>	My former boyfriend (and current good friend and neighbor) is
>6'5". (I don't know why I get tall men all the time - I'm only 5'4".)

I don't know why either--and I'm 5'1".  I've almost never dated
anyone under 6 feet in height. . .

>	So I guess that the situation isn't all that unique, but it is
>funny that we (meaning at least Elaine and I) are still surprised by
>large men who like to cook, sew, or whatever domestic task comes to
>mind.

My current beau is about 6 feet}i tall, looks like a lumberhacker,
and sent me a t-shirt on which he embroidered "Pooh".  I was not
surprised, since I know he also knits, but I *was* touched--and
very impressed, since I can't do either to save my life!

> "Why is this?" she ponders
>philosophically as she prepares to quit procrastinating and get to her
>paper on Freud...

Sometimes a banana is just a banana. . .

Pooh          topaz!unipress!pooh
              topaz!unirot!pooh

Creases! Folded again!

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (03/13/86)

--
> At this very minute, Mr. Beals (who resembles a hippie lumberjack)
> is making cookies for me (and himself)...
> So, dear readers, I leave it to you. Is it not
> unique that a 6'1" lumberhacker would collect recipies? I think it is.

That depends on whether he adds extra chocolate to the recipes.
I always do, but then being 5'7" I have an easier time reaching
for it up on the top shelf because when I stand on a chair I'm
taller than 6'1".
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (03/14/86)

In article yoda@ittatc.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Todd C. Williams [Jedi Knight]) writes:
>... I make the best Guac (Guacamole for those not so cool) this
>side of the Rio Grande.

Name your seconds, sir!  Hass Avocados at 20 paces!
Be warned: I make my own tortilla chips also.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

leo@cca.UUCP (Louise Osterman) (03/14/86)

> Good sense should stop me before I respond to this, but then I
> have never been known for good sense.
>
> That Andy Beals is 6'1" and collects recipes is far from
> unique.  Many men I know enjoy cooking and collect the
> occasional recipe.  Size has little to do with it; I am in
> fact larger than  Mr. Beals and have been cooking for myself
> for almost 20 years.  Gender should have little to do with
> interest in cooking, but probably does.

And my "Mr. Macho" father at 6' 1" who's done everything in residential
construction, from drafting to running foundation crews to teaching con-
struction, makes pastries, wholegrain breads, and soups that my mother
envies.  (Not to sell Mom short, though, her piecrusts are not only flaky
and light, but they look just like those perfect pictures in the cookbooks!)
My brothers are better cooks than my sisters, and they're a lot neater in
the kitchen, too!  The key to being a good cook?  A love of good food, a
willingness to experiment, and lots of experience!  (I wonder if it's all
my failed experiments or the successes that are grafted around my middle? :-))

>                                 _
> Peter Benson                    | ITT Defense Communications Division
> (619)578-3080                   | 10060 Carroll Canyon Road
> decvax!ittvax!dcdwest!benson    | San Diego, CA 92131
> ucbvax!sdcsvax!dcdwest!benson   |
> dcdwest!benson@SDCSVAX.EDU      |
>
> --

Louise E. Osterman
Computer Corporation of America

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (03/15/86)

Remember the old rule from grade school about "bringing enough for
everybody?"  Well, Andy, we're waiting...

Snoopy (make mine Springerlies, with fruitose, not sucrose.  thanky)
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy

"I don't even know how to work the can-opener!"

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (03/18/86)

>> *SNIFF* *SNIFF* "Better not have too many onions in there!"

Better not complain.  Confucius say he who argue with cook usually
get egg on face.
--
Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

earle@smeagol.UUCP (Greg Earle) (03/19/86)

In article <1057@mako.UUCP>, mmm@mako.UUCP writes:
> What *is* surprising (actually funny) is the reaction he gets when people
> first meet him, having already formed a mental picture of a somewhat wimpy
> milque-toast type house-husband.  He is 6'3", 290 lbs., bearded, and an
> ex-construction worker, and looks it!

Bet mmm loves the missionary position (tee hee hee :-) :-) :-) :-)

("mgmdfmdmggf! Can't breaf! mgmfmf!" :-) :-)

--
				::::::\:::::::::
				::::'  \:  `::::

	Greg Earle		sdcrdcf!smeagol!earle (UUCP)
	JPL 			ia-sun2!smeagol!earle@csvax.caltech.edu (ARPA)

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (03/21/86)

> And my "Mr.  Macho" father at 6' 1" who's done everything in residential
> construction, from drafting to running foundation crews to teaching con-
> struction, makes pastries, wholegrain breads, and soups that my mother
> envies.

Can't you see what this proves?  I don't look anything like Andy Beals,
and although I *can* cook, I *hate* to cook, because it's so boring,
and so I never cook anything except for Kolach at Christmas.

So obviously, the moral of all this extensive confessional analysis is that
people who look like "Mr. Macho" (no doubt related to Mr. Awesome of
Macintosh D of D fame) *enjoy* cooking!

[Note, however, that most of the examples involve someone cooking for
someone else... e.g. the above example, Andy Beals cooking for Ms. Booter,
etc., so I think the experiment is not well-controlled at present, since
there are other rewards than just "the joy of cooking" or "the joy of
eating" or "the joy of washing the dishes" involved.]
--
E. Roskos