[comp.unix.questions] Unix on a 386 with IDE hard drive?

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (07/09/90)

i want to put soem flavor of Unix on my 386; i have an Imprimis ST-1100
128meg IDE drive, and i'm wondering if it will be supported. the drive
is accurately defined by the AMI BIOS as type 32.

same question with VGA cards. i had a customer wanting to buy a Paradise
card because it was definitely supported by ISC (he worked for them)
i have a no name VGA card (Puretek, i think) and i'm not sure what chipset
is on it,     should i even be concerned with this?

thanks in advance,
tim

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (07/10/90)

In article <13425@udenva.cair.du.edu>, news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews)
writes:

> i want to put soem flavor of Unix on my 386; i have an Imprimis ST-1100
> 128meg IDE drive, and i'm wondering if it will be supported. the drive
> is accurately defined by the AMI BIOS as type 32.

If there is a drive type available for it, it should work fine under 386/ix

> same question with VGA cards. i had a customer wanting to buy a Paradise
> card because it was definitely supported by ISC (he worked for them)
> i have a no name VGA card (Puretek, i think) and i'm not sure what chipset
> is on it,     should i even be concerned with this?

Yes, if you want to run X-windows.  For standard text, probably not.  If the
card is "compatible" with either the Paradise or Video-7 chipsets, it will
probably work with the appropriate driver.  Only one way to find out for sure
though ...

> thanks in advance,
> tim

James Howard
Dell Computer Corp.
jrh@mustang.dell.com

The opinions expressed are my own, and not necessarily
those of my employer.