[comp.unix.questions] Resolver on Suns

edgar@nova.stanford.edu (Edgar Holmann) (06/29/90)

I have the following set up:

   ypserver  - DEC 5400 running Ultrix 3.1
   ypclients - DEC 3100 running Ultrix 3.1
               Sun 3/260 running Sun UNIX 4.2 Release 3.5

and from the client, I want to be able to run 'finger @somehost' and have it
work.  For both clients, this works ok when the host is present in the local
/etc/hosts file or in the yellow pages hosts database.  When the host is not
present in either of these two files, the name is still resolved fine in the
Ultrix system by using the /etc/resolv.conf nameservers.  The problem is with
the sun; there is still a reference in the man pages for the existence of a
resolv.conf file but this doesn't work.  (SunOS Release 4.0 changed the name of
this file to resolve.conf.)

The question is, what else do you need to do besides creating the resolv.conf
file to have this work?  Also, is there a counterpart to svcorder for suns to
specify the order of search that the gethostent interface uses?

Thanks,
--
Edgar Holmann                       UUCP:   decwrl!nova!edgar@uunet.uu.net
edgar@Neon.stanford.edu             BITNET: edgar%Neon.stanford.edu@stanford

abrams@dan.amd.bnl.gov (The Ancient Programmer) (07/12/90)

In article <1990Jun28.234529.2969@portia.Stanford.EDU> edgar@nova.stanford.edu (Edgar Holmann) writes:

>					:
>Ultrix system by using the /etc/resolv.conf nameservers.  The problem is with
>the sun; there is still a reference in the man pages for the existence of a
>resolv.conf file but this doesn't work.  (SunOS Release 4.0 changed the name of
>this file to resolve.conf.)               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Wrong!  The name of the file is still resolv.conf, not resolve.conf.
There was an error in Sun's man page which incorrectly spelled the file name,
but that error has been corrected at 4.1.
	When I brought up 4.0.1 on our system, I changed the name of the
file to resolve.conf and everthing went down the tubes.  Changing the name
back to resolv.conf got everything working again. We are currently at 4.1
with resolv.conf and all is ok.
	One point, the Sun should not be running in.named if you want
it to use the resolv.conf file.  Also, if you want your Sun NIS server
to use the domain name resolver, you must read the first comment in the
Makefile in /var/yp at OS4.1.

INTERNET:	abrams@bnl.gov
BITNET:		abrams@bnlux0.BITNET
UUCP:		...philabs!sbcs!bnlux0!abrams