[net.cooks] Chocolate and Beer

jin@hropus.UUCP (Bear) (03/10/86)

*** REPLACE YOUR MIND WITH THIS LINE ***

I was pouring an Anchor Ale this evening wishing for my prefered
companion (to it), a nice big Bittersweet Brownie (perhaps I'll
copy to recipe to Mod.recipes some day) when I remembered the flack
I've caught in the past for this culinary pairing.

Then I thought of Laura Creighton (hi there, let me know when you're
single again (:-) in paradise with her Anchor Porter and Brazil nuts.
So I'm asking the good people on the net (and the bad ones too (:-) )
what they think of chocolate and beer and of food companions to beer
in general.

My thoughts on Chocolate dwelled on it's reputedly high phenylethylamine
content.  This was debunked a few weeks ago but a netter who said that
sauerkraut had a higher PEA content.  Well, what goes better with a
hot dog and kraut than a beer?  As a veggie (newly reconverted) I'll
pass the hot dog, and I know a number of meat eaters who will too.
I'll let you know how sauerkraut and beer go together.
--
			Jerry Natowitz
			ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jin (official)

mcrk@rruxu.UUCP () (03/10/86)

[*]

Beer & chocolate :-( blagh...

things I like:

 beer & chips (any kind, but I like Bon Ton Ton best)
 beer & pizza (anytime!)
 beer & pasta (almost as good as pizza)
 beer & subs (you may call them heros, poor-boys, hogies...whatever)
 beer & ice cream (don't knock it until you've tried it on a 90 degree day)
 beer & chili (extra hot!!)

just to name a few that come to mind

--

Chris Koster
Bell Communications Research

conor@glacier.ARPA (Conor Rafferty) (03/11/86)

Reminds me of that essential restorative after a winter day's kayaking
off the Irish coast: Guinness and a Mars bar. Bliss!

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (03/11/86)

In article <336@hropus.UUCP> jin@hropus.UUCP (Bear) writes:
>*** REPLACE YOUR MIND WITH THIS LINE ***
>
>I was pouring an Anchor Ale this evening wishing for my prefered
>companion (to it), a nice big Bittersweet Brownie

Sounds yummy!

>						   (perhaps I'll
>copy to recipe to Mod.recipes some day)

Please do!

>Then I thought of ...
>                  in paradise with her Anchor Porter and Brazil nuts.
>So I'm asking the good people on the net (and the bad ones too (:-) )
>what they think of chocolate and beer and of food companions to beer
>in general.

Porter and Brazil nuts.  Another winner, as are almost any (drinkable)
beer and nuts, popcorn, etc.  Food in general.  Beer is good with anything,
almost.  Of course, one has to choose the right beer for the right food.
I doubt that Porter would go with chocolate, but Liberty Ale sure does!

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

jca@drutx.UUCP (ArnsonJC) (03/11/86)

	Beer is also a must when sitting at a table covered with brown paper
with a wooden mallet in one hand cracking crab shells open, and a beer in the
other!!!!!!!!!!!

--
	jill c. arnson
	ihnp4!drutx!jca

jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (03/11/86)

In article <336@hropus.UUCP> jin@hropus.UUCP (Bear) writes:

>So I'm asking the good people on the net (and the bad ones too (:-) )
>what they think of chocolate and beer and of food companions to beer
>in general.

Peanut butter and (currant) jelly sandwiches made with bagels go
great with Canadian and German import beers, for example.

				have a good luch,
				Jeff Winslow

mgh@mtuni.UUCP (Marcus Hand) (03/12/86)

Well I like beer and salted peanuts (possibly mixed up with a bag of
chips... )  The beer makes me crave for something savory and the peanuts
make me thirsty  --  is this a symbiotic relationship or just a positive
feedback?
--
			Marcus Hand	(mtuni!mgh)

clark@sdics.UUCP (Clark Quinn) (03/12/86)

>  beer & chips (any kind, but I like Bon Ton Ton best)
>  beer & pizza (anytime!)
>  beer & pasta (almost as good as pizza)

I might substitute a good or fun Italian wine here.

>  beer & subs (you may call them heros, poor-boys, hogies...whatever)
>  beer & ice cream (don't knock it until you've tried it on a 90 degree day)
>  beer & chili (extra hot!!)
>
> Chris Koster
> Bell Communications Research
> {ihnp4}!rruxo!mcrk

Some things I find beer almost essential for:
Chinese food (Tsingtao)
Thai food (Singha, if they have it, or a San Miguel)
Vietnamese food (as for Thai)
Japanese food (Kirin, usually, but Sapporo or Asahi are also good)
(other far eastern cuisines go here) food
Mexican food (Preferably Dos Equis, but Carta Blanca or Bohemia is
  acceptable)
German food (a good German Beer *almost a redundancy*, St Pauli Girl, Becks)

(Alternatives to beer on the above include Margaritas with the Mexican food, a
German wine could go with the German food, and sake goes well with Japanese
food.  Often, I will have sake and beer with the Japanese food.  Arguably, you
might pair plum wine with the Chinese. Generally too sweet for me.)

And with chocolate? Well, I like beer with cookies, so a chocolate chip cookie
or other chocolate cookie should qualify.

Mind you, I generally don't mean an American beer here, except for some of the
specialty brews.  I gave up drinking for quantity some time ago, and prefer a
flavorful beer or ale (which usually means imported).

-- Clark

Damn!  Now I'm hungry and thirsty, and it's only 11AM!  Oh, well, I'll just
have to wait till dinner for Tarascan Tomato and Bean Soup, served up with
a cold Dos Equis.

 Clark N. Quinn
 Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
 University of California, San Diego
 La Jolla, California 92093
 (619) 452-2541 (UCSD): (619) 457-1274 (Home)
 {ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdics!clark.uucp  OR  clark@nprdc.arpa

mjb@utah-gr.UUCP (03/16/86)

In article <336@hropus.UUCP> jin@hropus.UUCP (Bear) writes:

>I was pouring an Anchor Ale this evening wishing for my prefered
>companion (to it), a nice big Bittersweet Brownie (perhaps I'll
>copy to recipe to Mod.recipes some day) when I remembered the flack
>I've caught in the past for this culinary pairing.

A friend of mine who has been teaching in Germany for several years came
for a visit this summer.  He brought several mini-kegs of beer and many
pounds of chocolate.  He claims they mix them all the time over there.
I do, whenever I happen to have any chocolate.  Brewing beer has been
succesful, but I haven't worked on making chocolate yet...

mjb.
--
No matter where I go, I get there late or come too soon!
 ... !utah-cs!mjb

lorrie@hpfcla (03/17/86)

     I'm so glad to see that someone else likes  chocolate with beer.  I
     love it!

     My all time favorite (only  available  around  Easter) is beer with
     those  chocolate,  candy coated, malted eggs.  Of course there is a
     special  technique to eating the eggs.  First bite the shell off of
     the egg.  Be careful not to bite into the malted center.  After you
     have eaten the shell and got your hands all full of colored  sugar,
     pop the center  into your mouth and suck on it untill it melts into
     oblivion.  Then take a big gulp of your favorite beer.

     Now thats the proper way to enjoy poisoning your body!!!!

     Lorrie

     P.S.  I almost forgot - this snack goes best with  watching  reruns
     of Gilligans  Island and The Adams Family.  Be sure to run a couple
     of miles later to make up for this endulgence.

lindahl@ti-csl (03/19/86)

>*** REPLACE YOUR MIND WITH THIS LINE ***

>I was pouring an Anchor Ale this evening wishing for my prefered
>companion (to it), a nice big Bittersweet Brownie (perhaps I'll
>copy to recipe to Mod.recipes some day) when I remembered the flack
>I've caught in the past for this culinary pairing.

I have, of all things, a BUDWEISER Cookbook. Any interest in my posting
some of the recipes? Anybody have any thoughts on the copyright
question if I EXPLICITLY acknowledge this source?

keith@telesoft.UUCP (Keith Shillington @spot) (03/19/86)

Try Sapporo Dark with Japanese White Wine Chocolates for dessert.

Yum!
--
Keith Allan Shillington   telesoft!keith@SDCSVAX.ARPA   619/457-2700x388.ATT
			  {ucbvax!sdcsvax,celerity,bang}!telesoft!keith.UUCP

yoda@ittatc.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Todd C. Williams [Jedi Knight]) (03/21/86)

Lorrie said:

>	My favorite is beer with those chocolate, candy coated, malted eggs.
>	...but there is a special  technique...

Way to go, Lorrie, I thought I was the only one who knew the special
technique...

>	this snack goes best with watching reruns of Gilligans Island
>	and The Addams Family.

And myC~ roommates used to think I was weird when I would get some carrots
(and some Miracle Whip to dip them in) and then sit in from of the TV
watching (appropriately) Bugs Bunny cartoons.

							-Todd
|  Todd C. Williams			|  "Summer blonds		       |
|  ITT Defense Communications		|   revealing tan lines,	       |
|  Nutley, NJ				|   I'll make more moves than	       |
|  {decvax, et al.}!ittatc!dcdvaxb!tcw	|   ALLIED VAN LINES!"		       |
|  +1 201 284 3305			|     --from: "I wanna be a lifeguard" |
|  I love to receive e-mail!		|			by BLOTTO      |

ella@utecfa.UUCP (Thomsen) (03/23/86)

Carrots and Miracle Whip isn't so weird (although I prefer Hellman's)
but have you ever tried celery and creamed ricotta cheese?  I've been
eating it while I read my news and it's yummy.

Regarding chocolate and beer I think that if you added ginger beer (the
kind you buy in West Indian stores) would probably add a new dimension
to an old taste treat.

I LOVE chocolate (thank god my boyfriend doesn't - leaves more for me.)
and I LOVE a nice, ice cold beer.  Boy, maybe I should just go to the
refrigerator now and...
--
Ella Lund-Thomsen
Engineering Computing Facility