[comp.unix.questions] UNIX LOGIN

Bhargis@mrsa1 (07/10/90)

I,ve logged in to some unix bulliten boards,, and immidiately got into menu
driven procedures, asking your name, where you are calling from etc..
eventually asking you to assign your own userid (for first time users), does
anyone know how that is accomplished,, sure would appriciate the info...
I,ve been tasked to develop such a bulliten board, and would sure love to
know how the unix login was bypassed,,,,,,,anyone with that knowledge???

address    bhargis.mrsa1@redstone-emh2

                                 Thanks

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (07/12/90)

In article <23825@adm.BRL.MIL> Bhargis@mrsa1 writes:
>I,ve logged in to some unix bulliten boards,, and immidiately got into menu
>driven procedures, asking your name, where you are calling from etc..
>eventually asking you to assign your own userid (for first time users), does
>anyone know how that is accomplished,, sure would appriciate the info...
>I,ve been tasked to develop such a bulliten board, and would sure love to
>know how the unix login was bypassed,,,,,,,anyone with that knowledge???

Easy.

First, you create a login for new users to use.  I happen to use 'newuser'
here on Gagme.  Then, for the default shell, you put the path to the
executable file that contains the menu driven program.  I think it
has to be an executable image, not a shell script.

So, for example, here on Gagme I have:

newuser::106:1:New User:/usr/newuser:/usr/newuser/new

The newuser login has no password, and executes /usr/newuser/new
when it logs in, instead of the normal UNIX login...

-greg

--
Gregory A. Gulik					Call Gagme, a public
       greg@gagme.chi.il.us  ||  ...uunet!motcid!gulik	access UNIX system at

hwt@.bnr.ca (Henry Troup) (07/13/90)

In article <554@gagme.chi.il.us> greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) writes:
|In article <23825@adm.BRL.MIL> Bhargis@mrsa1 writes:
||I,ve logged in to some unix bulliten boards,, and immidiately got into menu
||driven procedures, asking your name, where you are calling from etc..

|here on Gagme.  Then, for the default shell, you put the path to the
|executable file that contains the menu driven program.  I think it

Or you run something other than the standard getty, in /etc/ttytab or /etc/ttys
--
Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions | Not one of 100% of
..uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA 613-765-2337 | Americans

>Or you run something other than the standard getty, in /etc/ttytab or
>/etc/ttys

Or "/etc/inittab".

Or you set up "ttymon" to do that, in S5R4.