[comp.unix.questions] Ethernet question

terry@cssun.tamu.edu (Terry Escamilla) (07/14/90)

Someone please settle an argument we've been having at work.

Is it possible for a workstation on an Ethernet to dynamically
determine the Internet (or even Ethernet) addresses of the
hosts/workstations immediately to its left and right?
I guess this would be like an "intelligent" ping or ARP.

Terry Escamilla
terry@cs.tamu.edu

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (07/14/90)

In article <23877@adm.BRL.MIL>, terry@cssun (Terry Escamilla) writes:
| Is it possible for a workstation on an Ethernet to dynamically
| determine the Internet (or even Ethernet) addresses of the
| hosts/workstations immediately to its left and right?
| I guess this would be like an "intelligent" ping or ARP.

Ethernet is flat.  (Well, OK, the cable is round. :-) Your broadcasts
are flooded to every reciever on the cable.  There's no left or right
in electron space.

Just another cybernetic hallucination,
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

stecz@hotwheel.dell.com (John Steczkowski) (07/16/90)

In article <23877@adm.BRL.MIL>, terry@cssun.tamu.edu (Terry Escamilla) writes:

> Someone please settle an argument we've been having at work.
>
> Is it possible for a workstation on an Ethernet to dynamically
> determine the Internet (or even Ethernet) addresses of the
> hosts/workstations immediately to its left and right?
> I guess this would be like an "intelligent" ping or ARP.

I believe you use /dev/right to find the ethernet id for the machine to
your right, but to get the ethernet id for the machine on the left, you
need the new GNU addon device driver /dev/ambidextrous.  Implementation of
these devices is hemisphere dependent, the default is for the northern
hemisphere (except of course for the UK, since there internet addresses are
backwards).

John Steczkowski
Dell Unix Customer Support  P#: (512) 343-3571
9505 Arboretum Blvd.	    !s: uunet!dell!hotwheel!stecz
Austin, Texas 78759	    @s: stecz@hotwheel.dell.com

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (07/16/90)

Escamilla) writes:

 > > Someone please settle an argument we've been having at work.
 > >
 > > Is it possible for a workstation on an Ethernet to dynamically
 > > determine the Internet (or even Ethernet) addresses of the
 > > hosts/workstations immediately to its left and right?
 > > I guess this would be like an "intelligent" ping or ARP.
 >
 > I believe you use /dev/right to find the ethernet id for the machine to
 > your right, but to get the ethernet id for the machine on the left, you
 > need the new GNU addon device driver /dev/ambidextrous.  Implementation of
 > these devices is hemisphere dependent, the default is for the northern
 > hemisphere (except of course for the UK, since there internet addresses are
 > backwards).

I thought there was a new 'proximity calculating protocol' (PCP) available
that will attempt to determine the nodes immediately adjacent to the local
machine.  First of all, you must be running with a nameserver, which is used
as a reference point.  You must know where the nameserver machine is located
relative to your own system.  Then, go edit the space.c file under
/etc/conf/pack.d/pcp and uncomment out one of the following lines as
appropriate:

/* #define DIR_SERVER	LEFT	*/
/* #define DIR_SERVER	RIGHT   */

Then, rebuild a kernel.  At which point, the driver executes 'ping' on
each host
recognized by the nameserver and saves the average round-trip time in
ms.  Then,
the shortest two values are returned as the most nearly adjacent systems
available.
At this point, the definition of DIR_SERVER above becomes important.
For example,
if DIR_SERVER = LEFT, then the lowest time is assumed to belong to the machine
closest to the nameserver, hence on the left.  In the alternate case, it
must be
on the right side.  Of course, this is difficult if the shortest times
are identical,
or if the load average on the machines are not all identical, of if ....

No one is really taking this seriously I hope...  ;-)

James Howard
Dell Computer Corp.
jrh@mustang.dell.com

The opinions expressed are my own, and not necessarily
those of my employer.

frank@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Frank G. Fiamingo) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul14.063620.4375@iwarp.intel.com>,
merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:

> In article <23877@adm.BRL.MIL>, terry@cssun (Terry Escamilla) writes:
> | Is it possible for a workstation on an Ethernet to dynamically
> | determine the Internet (or even Ethernet) addresses of the
> | hosts/workstations immediately to its left and right?
> | I guess this would be like an "intelligent" ping or ARP.
>
> Ethernet is flat.  (Well, OK, the cable is round. :-) Your broadcasts
> are flooded to every reciever on the cable.  There's no left or right
> in electron space.
>
> Just another cybernetic hallucination,
> --

While it's true that the broadcasts are flooded to all receivers on the cable,
it's not truly "flat".   It takes a definite time for the electron to
traverse any length of the cable.  Conceivably one could measure the time it
takes for a signal to bounce back to the original machine and convert that
to distance.

	Frank

Frank Fiamingo
frank@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu