[comp.unix.questions] determining timezone of internet site

odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jon Granrose) (07/14/90)

As some of you may know, I've been working on a ftp site list for quite a
while now.  I have been planning to add the time zone (in GMT) for each site
to the list when I got the time.  Now I have the time but I can't think of
an easy way to do this.

Here's my question:
	Does anyone know of an easy (preferably interactive) way to figure out
what time zone a given site is in?  nslookup doesn't hack it and I can't
think of any other way to do it.

Jon
|Jon Granrose        |ARPA: odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU   jonathan@sco.com |  // Only |
|Cowell College, UCSC|      odin@pilot.njin.net   odin@ucscb.bitnet|\X/ Amiga!|
|Santa Cruz, CA 95064|UUCP:..!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!odin                         |

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (07/14/90)

In article <5133@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, odin@ucscb (Jon Granrose) writes:
| 	Does anyone know of an easy (preferably interactive) way to figure out
| what time zone a given site is in?  nslookup doesn't hack it and I can't
| think of any other way to do it.

telnet some.site.name 13

and see what time it is. :-)
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) (07/15/90)

In article <1990Jul14.063316.4303@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:
>In article <5133@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, odin@ucscb (Jon Granrose) writes:
>| 	Does anyone know of an easy (preferably interactive) way to figure out
>| what time zone a given site is in?  nslookup doesn't hack it and I can't
>| think of any other way to do it.
>telnet some.site.name 13
>and see what time it is. :-)
>--

This will work on most machines, but some do maintain GMT (UTC)

Most domains are geographically ( read time-zone) contiguous.
A "WHOIS" record should return atleast a city name.

--pushpendra

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (07/16/90)

In article <74@nic.cerf.net> pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) writes:

   Most domains are geographically ( read time-zone) contiguous.
   A "WHOIS" record should return atleast a city name.

there's a file 'netcoord.txt' that tom libert (libert@merit.edu) came
up with, maps (approx) domain to location.  could use that.  think
it's on merit.edu or nis.nsf.net, i may have a copy on ftp.math.lsa.umich.edu
otherwise.

telnet to port 13 is what i'd do as a first pass...

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
comp.archives moderator

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (07/16/90)

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

|In article <74@nic.cerf.net> pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) writes:

|   Most domains are geographically ( read time-zone) contiguous.
|   A "WHOIS" record should return atleast a city name.

|telnet to port 13 is what i'd do as a first pass...

i sent mail to the original requestor suggesting that they use the smtp port
since most (many, all?) bsd sendmail announce the date *and* local timezone.
many (most, all?) daytime ports just return the time.  while you can then
determine timezone (which is what we're after here) i thought the simpler
approach was better.  granted using daytime makes shell script construction
a bit easier.

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (07/17/90)

In article <EMV.90Jul15165230@urania.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>In article <74@nic.cerf.net> pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) writes:
>
>   Most domains are geographically ( read time-zone) contiguous.
>   A "WHOIS" record should return atleast a city name.
>
>there's a file 'netcoord.txt' that tom libert (libert@merit.edu) came
>up with, maps (approx) domain to location.  could use that.  think
>it's on merit.edu or nis.nsf.net, i may have a copy on ftp.math.lsa.umich.edu
>otherwise.

Maybe there should be a new record type for latitude/longitude added
to DNS.  Hmn, but what happens when we set up an Internet site on
space station Fred ;-)
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028