[comp.unix.questions] Two RN questions

jeyadev@rocksanne.uucp (07/21/90)

Could someone help me out on these two issues, please?

1) When one includes someone else's posting in one's own (by using the F
command), RN gives a reference to the quoted article, as in the case given
below

In article <2355@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1990Jul18.143444.11849@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> xxrich@alliant1.lerc.nasa.gov (Rich Rinehart) writes:

What do those cryptic account "names" 2355 and 1990Jul18.143444.11849 mean?
Are they the encoded passwords, or what?

2) When I change my mind and abort an article, RN creates a file in my
login directory called .article. What does this file do? Does it get
overwritten when the next article is posted?

Thanks

--

Surendar Jeyadev	Internet: jeyadev.wbst128@xerox.com

Time is just nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once

In article <461@spot.wbst128.xerox.com> jeyadev@monolith.UUCP () writes:
>Could someone help me out on these two issues, please?
>
>1) When one includes someone else's posting in one's own (by using the F
>command), RN gives a reference to the quoted article, as in the case given
>below
>
>In article <2355@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>>In article <1990Jul18.143444.11849@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> xxrich@alliant1.lerc.nasa.gov (Rich Rinehart) writes:
>
>What do those cryptic account "names" 2355 and 1990Jul18.143444.11849 mean?

These aren't names.  They are message id's.   Some news systems generate
very short message id's (bnews is one) while others (namely cnews) generate
the longer YYYYMMMDDD.lots.of.stuff kind.

This doesn't mean anything.  It is just a way to ensure a unique identifier
for each message (this is used by your news software to check and see if you
(as in your system) have gotten the message already.  If so, the news software
will through it away.

>2) When I change my mind and abort an article, RN creates a file in my
>login directory called .article. What does this file do? Does it get
>overwritten when the next article is posted?

This file is just a place for aborted articles (although I thought it was
put into dead.article, not .article (.article is used while building the
article)).  Newly aborted articles are appended to the file.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

>This file is just a place for aborted articles (although I thought it was
>put into dead.article, not .article (.article is used while building the
>article)).  Newly aborted articles are appended to the file.

Not in the latest version of "rn" (nor in any version I can remember
using):

	Send, abort, edit, or list? abort
	Article appended to /home/auspex/engr/guy/dead.article
	A copy may be temporarily found in /home/auspex/engr/guy/.article

The copy is in ".article" because it is, in fact, used while building
the article - Pnews sticks stuff in there and throws you into your
editor running on that file, and if you say "send" it ships off the
stuff in that file.