[comp.unix.questions] REQUEST --> source code line counter wanted

mitchell@tci.UUCP (Rob Mitchell) (07/17/90)

Hi,

	Yeah, I could probably create one pretty quickly, but what
the heck?!!  Does anyone have a need little program to count the
source code lines (minus comments, declaration headings, etc.) for
unix systems??

	Thanks in advance!!

	Please email to me since I don't normally read this
category.

dave@lsuc.on.ca (David Sherman) (07/19/90)

In article <483@tci.UUCP> mitchell@tci.UUCP (Rob Mitchell) writes:
>Hi,
>
>	Yeah, I could probably create one pretty quickly, but what
>the heck?!!  Does anyone have a need little program to count the
>source code lines (minus comments, declaration headings, etc.) for
>unix systems??

Would
	grep -v "^#include .*\.h" $1 | /lib/cpp - | grep -v "^$" | wc -l

come close?

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
--
Moderator, mail.yiddish
{ uunet!attcan  att  utzoo }!lsuc!dave          dave@lsuc.on.ca

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (07/23/90)

>In article <483@tci.UUCP> mitchell@tci.UUCP (Rob Mitchell) writes:
>>	Yeah, I could probably create one pretty quickly, but what
>>the heck?!!  Does anyone have a need little program to count the
>>source code lines (minus comments, declaration headings, etc.) for
>>unix systems??

	The System Toolchest includes a utility called NCSL - "Non-
	Commentary Source Line filter and file comparator". According
	to my '85 listing, organizational source costs $200. NCSLDIFF
	"prints statistics about two versions of a source lines." FYI