[comp.unix.questions] Buying a second hand source license

dipto@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Dipto Chakravarty) (07/20/90)

Is it possible to buy a second-hand ATT source license? I am
looking into the possiblility of getting a V6 license from
an existing organization (who might have bought it from ATT).
Now, is it AT ALL possible to buy a source license and transfer
the ownership?

Actually, I want to get the cheapest deal with a ATT source license
(if possible), as the eventual intention is to get the OSF V 1.0

This question was posted last week, but I didn't hear from anyone.
Please e-mail replies. Thanks in advance for advice/suggestions.

-Dipto

  dipto@umbc.bitnet  ------\                     /------ uunet!ats!dipto
dipto@umbc3.umbc.edu ------/  Dipto Chakravarty  \------ uunet!mimsy!ats!dipto

--
  dipto@umbc.bitnet  ------\                     /------ uunet!ats!dipto
dipto@umbc3.umbc.edu ------->   In-real-life:   <------- uunet!mimsy!ats!dipto

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/24/90)

In article <3627@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> dipto@umbc3.umbc.edu (Dipto Chakravarty) writes:
>Is it possible to buy a second-hand ATT source license? I am
>looking into the possiblility of getting a V6 license from
>an existing organization (who might have bought it from ATT).
>Now, is it AT ALL possible to buy a source license and transfer
>the ownership?

If you have a more recent UNIX source license, e.g. some release of
UNIX System V, a site with a 6th Edition UNIX source license is
allowed to send their sources to you.

As to transferring source licenses, it certainly can be done within
a single licensed organization.  You should call AT&T Software Sales
and Licensing (800-828-UNIX) for information about such arrangements.