[comp.unix.questions] Does showmount ever forget?

chip@ee.upenn.edu (Charles H. Buchholtz) (07/21/90)

When I run showmount on Pender, my Sun 4/280 running SunOS 4.0.3, it
lists three machines that haven't mounted a Pender filesystem in many
months (and many reboots), and even lists a machine that no longer
exists!

This causes some inconvenience, since shutdown rwalls these machines,
even though they are supremely indifferent to Pender's state of being.

Is there any way of getting Pender to forget that these machines were
ever NFS clients?

Email or post, as you see fit.  I will summarize if there is
sufficient interest.

I am posting as an individual, not as a representative of U. of P.

      Charles H. Buchholtz            chip@ee.upenn.edu
      Systems Programmer              Electrical Engineering
		     University of Pennsylvania.

The answer to the question in the subject line is "well, that's not
exactly the right way to phrase the question, but yes, sometimes the
mount daemon's list of files other machines have mounted doesn't get
entries deleted from it when they should be."

>Is there any way of getting Pender to forget that these machines were
>ever NFS clients?

It's a slight pain, but:

1) kill off "rpc.mountd";

2) edit "/etc/rmtab" to remove the offending entries;

3) start up "rpc.mountd" again.

hwt@.bnr.ca (Henry Troup) (07/26/90)

In article <3717@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>Is there any way of getting Pender to forget that these machines were
>>ever NFS clients?

>1) kill off "rpc.mountd";

>2) edit "/etc/rmtab" to remove the offending entries;

>3) start up "rpc.mountd" again.

I added 'rm /etc/rmtab; touch /etc/rmtab' in /etc/rc.local, to ensure that the
file is cleaned up on reboot.  What other files should be but aren't removed on
restart?

--
Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions | 21 years in Canada...
uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA 613-765-2337    |

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (07/27/90)

In article <3839@bwdls58.UUCP> hwt@bwdlh490.bnr.ca (Henry Troup) writes:
>In article <3717@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>>Is there any way of getting Pender to forget that these machines were
>>>ever NFS clients?
>
>>1) kill off "rpc.mountd";
>
>>2) edit "/etc/rmtab" to remove the offending entries;
>
>>3) start up "rpc.mountd" again.
>
>I added 'rm /etc/rmtab; touch /etc/rmtab' in /etc/rc.local, to ensure that the
>file is cleaned up on reboot.  What other files should be but aren't removed on
>restart?

No, you don't want to do that either.  Let's say host A mounts a filesystem
from host B.  Using your configuration, if host B is rebooted, showmount
will think that no other hosts are mounting filesystems from it, even though
host A still is.
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028

>I added 'rm /etc/rmtab; touch /etc/rmtab' in /etc/rc.local, to ensure that the
>file is cleaned up on reboot.  What other files should be but aren't removed on
>restart?

Err, I don't think I said that file *should* be cleaned up on reboot.
The reason I didn't say that is that the fact that a *server* reboots
doesn't directly change what file systems its *clients* have mounted.
As such, "/etc/rmtab" is *not* one of the files that "should be but
[isn't] removed on restart"....

If you ream "/etc/rmtab" out on reboot, you might as well just try
symlinking it to "/dev/null" and be done with it; that'll keep the
server from ever sending out those broadcast messages, but some might
consider that a feature....