[comp.unix.questions] Can NFS server not responding trash vi?

ssi@ziggy.EDU (Ssi) (07/25/90)

 I have a Sun 3/160 serving 5 diskless clients.
We get a fair share of `NFS server not responding..'
messages. Sometimes when a user writes a large file
(250000 bytes) from `vi' the file gets trashed.
This seems to happen when the write encounters an
NFS error. The last time this happened there where
several `spurious level 4 interrupt' errors on the server
console, I don't recall seeing these on the other
occasions.
 I'm running SunOS 3.5

                      Greg Ripp ssi@ziggy.edu

jeff@onion.pdx.com (Jeff Beadles) (07/28/90)

In article <1384@ziggy.EDU> ssi@ziggy.EDU (Ssi) writes:
> I have a Sun 3/160 serving 5 diskless clients.
>We get a fair share of `NFS server not responding..'
>messages. Sometimes when a user writes a large file
>(250000 bytes) from `vi' the file gets trashed.
>This seems to happen when the write encounters an
>NFS error. The last time this happened there where
>several `spurious level 4 interrupt' errors on the server
>console, I don't recall seeing these on the other
>occasions.
> I'm running SunOS 3.5
>
>                      Greg Ripp ssi@ziggy.edu

Using softmounted NFS filesystems,  yes it's possible.  The mount can
timeout with a soft mount.

Using hard mounted filesystems, it shouldn't happen.  (If the 'intr'
option is set and the user hits their interupt character (usually ^C or DEL)
then all bets are off. :-)

	-Jeff
--
Jeff Beadles	jeff@onion.pdx.com		jeff@quark.wv.tek.com