[comp.unix.questions] mail header standards

levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Opus, ,,0) (07/28/90)

I am looking for a standard that will tell me what info goes in the header of
E-Mail.  I remember on from working on the ELM mailer, but I don't have
access to that anymore.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Walden Leverich

Walden H. Leverich III               | Inet: levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu
     ECE Dept.                       | CServ: 73237,2212
 Clarkson University                 | SnailMail: 100 Market St.
                                     |            N.C.M. Apt 10
                                     |            Potsdam, NY 13676-1702
Just once, I wish we would encounter an alien menace that wasn't immune to
bullets.    -The Brigader [Dr. Who]

tml@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Thomas M Link) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul28.034222.28173@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>I am looking for a standard that will tell me what info goes in the header of
>E-Mail.  I remember on from working on the ELM mailer, but I don't have
>access to that anymore.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

what you want is: Request for Comments (RFC) #822

It is THE standard.

RFC #822 -- STANDARD FOR THE FORMAT OF ARPA INTERNET TEXT MESSAGES
by David H. Crocker

This is available via anonymous ftp to many sights including:

ai.utoronto.ca             128.100.1.65
allspice.lcs.mit.edu       18.26.0.115
aramis.rutgers.edu         128.6.4.2
flash.bellcore.com         128.96.32.20
coll.,gatech.edu           36.8.0.118
hubcap.clemson.edu         192.5.219.1
lancaster.andrew.cmu.edu   128.2.13.21
marvin.cs.buffalo.edu      128.205.32.4
merit.edu                  35.1.1.42
spot.colorado.edu          128.138.238.1
sri-nic.arpa               10.0.0.51
xx.lcs.mit.edu             18.26.0.36
pitt.edu                   130.49.1.254

Or I can mail it to you if you don't have access to these

Tom Link

kseshadr@quasar.intel.com (Kishore Seshadri) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul28.034222.28173@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, levericw@clutx (Opus, ,,0) writes:
>I am looking for a standard that will tell me what info goes in the header of
>E-Mail.  I remember on from working on the ELM mailer, but I don't have
>access to that anymore.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Look at RFC 822 and for older environments RFC 733(this is mostly obsolete).

Kishore Seshadri
Kishore Seshadri (Speaking for myself)      Intel Corp., Santa Clara, CA
CSNET: kseshadr@mipos3.intel.com ARPA: kseshadr%mipos3.intel.com@relay.cs.net
UUCP:{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!kseshadr

bsp09@audrey.cs.tu-berlin.de (Uebung bsp) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul28.034222.28173@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Opus, ,,0) writes:
   I am looking for a standard that will tell me what info goes in the header of
   E-Mail.  I remember on from working on the ELM mailer, but I don't have
   access to that anymore.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Look into RFC 822.
--
Juergen Nickelsen