[comp.unix.questions] Program "style"

yliang@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Yiqing Liang) (08/03/90)

We have been using program "style" in Ultrix on Vax machines here.
"style" is a kind of text parser.  Now we need to run it on a
workstation, say, Sun 386i, Sun Sparcstations.  How and where we can buy
or get the source code for this program so that we can modify it and run
it on Suns.

Any help will be appreciated and thanks in advances.

email address: Internet -- yliang@gmuvax2.gmu.edu
               Bitnet   -- yliang@gmuvax.gmu.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/05/90)

In article <1956@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> yliang@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Yiqing Liang) writes:
>We have been using program "style" in Ultrix on Vax machines here.
>"style" is a kind of text parser.  Now we need to run it on a
>workstation, say, Sun 386i, Sun Sparcstations.  How and where we can buy
>or get the source code for this program so that we can modify it and run
>it on Suns.

I believe "style" is part of the Writer's WorkBench, licensed by AT&T
(800)838-UNIX.  Old versions of "style" and "diction" were distributed
by Bell Labs by special arrangement, but I doubt they still do that.

>I believe "style" is part of the Writer's WorkBench, licensed by AT&T
>(800)838-UNIX.  Old versions of "style" and "diction" were distributed
>by Bell Labs by special arrangement, but I doubt they still do that.

AT&T may not, but the source they distributed is still part of BSD
source.  If the original poster has a UNIX source license, they can get
BSD source; otherwise, they're out of luck, unless somebody has
"AT&T-free" versions of "style" and "diction".