[comp.unix.questions] LAT software

nmos@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Henk Mos) (08/05/90)

Does anybody know if the Digital LAT (Local Area Transport) software is
available for UNIX? I know it's available under ULTRIX but I'm looking for
a pd or commercial version to be used for BSD and/or SUNOS.

Thanks in advance,

Henk Mos

Henk J. Mos, Dept of Physics and Astrophysics, Utrecht University
The Netherlands.  (nmos@fys.ruu.nl)

brendan@world.std.com (Brendan P Kehoe) (08/06/90)

In article <1390@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl> nmos@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Henk Mos) writes:
>Does anybody know if the Digital LAT (Local Area Transport) software is
>available for UNIX? I know it's available under ULTRIX but I'm looking for
>a pd or commercial version to be used for BSD and/or SUNOS.

 Sun's product, SunLink DNI 6.0, should fill the bill. If you get it, make
sure to ask for the dnimail package with it (they don't tell you they have
the update to the c.sources.sun posting until you ask for it). We're using
it with a MicroVax 3400 and haven't had any problems at all. The only
drawback is that it's pretty limited in the NCP part of it (you don't know
how frustrating it is to define a node then not be able to clear or purge
it..you're stuck with a bogus entry til you re-start the dniserver).
 Supposedly 6.1's in beta or alpha testing right now, so there should be a
number of improvements. Overall, tho, I can't have any complaints.

Brendan Kehoe | Soon: brendan@cs.widener.edu | temp: brendan@world.std.com
Also: brendan@chinet.chi.il.us | Preferred: bkehoe@widener.bitnet