[comp.unix.questions] Word-processors for UNIX

erik@nososl.UUCP (Jan Erik Sevland) (07/30/90)

Do anybody know about UNIX implementations of current (popular)
PC wordprocessors like :

  Microsoft Word
  Word Perfect
  etc.

Hope this question is'nt too trivial.

Jan Erik
|  Jan Erik Sevland                     |  erik%nososl@nac.no                 |
|  Nordic Offshore Systems a.s.         |  uunet!mcsun!sunic!nuug!nososl!erik |
|  P.box. 185, N-1321 Stabekk, NORWAY   |  (47 2) fax: 125401  voice: 125580  |

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/31/90)

In article <60@nososl.UUCP> erik%nososl@nac.no (Jan Erik Sevland) writes:

>Do anybody know about UNIX implementations of current (popular)
>PC wordprocessors like :
>  Word Perfect

We have Word Putrid running on our 3b2/1000's under SVR3.2. "Ugly"
doesn't even come close to describing it ...

--
     Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
         {alberta,cbmvax,mips}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (08/01/90)

in article <13@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca>, lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) says:

> We have Word Putrid running on our 3b2/1000's under SVR3.2. "Ugly"
> doesn't even come close to describing it ...

Compared to what?
If you have a keyboard that looks anything like a PC keyboard, it looks a lot
like the MS-DOS WordPerfect.  If you don't like that, that's another story.

The keyboard mapping for the vt100 was a little hard to get used to.
It wasn't until after I used it via MS-Kermit, with the "natural" keyboard
that I learned how to use it properly, then the vt100 keyboard made sense.

Again, "ugly" verses your favorite, which is ???
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM            (408) 435-5293

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (08/03/90)

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:

>> We have Word Putrid running on our 3b2/1000's under SVR3.2. "Ugly"
>> doesn't even come close to describing it ...

>Again, "ugly" verses your favorite, which is ???

troff. (You were expecting me to say "WGS" maybe? ;-)

W.P. is a pig for system resources. Try running a couple of spell
checks in parallel on the above machines. We have one of them
dedicated to running W.P. jobs. It's configured with 4 CPU's.
Can you say "MIPS?" Well, running a pair of W.P. spell jobs is
sufficient to bring the machine to its knees. I'm not impressed :-(

Besides, I administer the mailers around here. Ever seen sendmail
try to deal with a WP document file :-(

Gotta go, the card reader's ready for the next stack ...

--

kevin@utekza.UUCP (Kevin Gribble) (08/03/90)

In article <60@nososl.UUCP> erik%nososl@nac.no (Jan Erik Sevland) writes:

%Do anybody know about UNIX implementations of current (popular)
%PC wordprocessors like :
%
%  Microsoft Word
%  Word Perfect
%  etc.
%
%
%Hope this question is'nt too trivial.
%
%Jan Erik

There is now Wordperfect Ver.5.0 available for Unix, but exactly for which
Unix I am not to sure. According to the June issue of the Byte magazine,
they have released version 5.0 of micrsoft Word for Unix.

Kevin Gribble
kevin@utekza.UUCP

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (08/05/90)

In article <10@utekza.UUCP> kevin@utekza.UUCP (Kevin Gribble) writes:
>In article <60@nososl.UUCP> erik%nososl@nac.no (Jan Erik Sevland) writes:
>%Do anybody know about UNIX implementations of current (popular)
>%PC wordprocessors like :
>%  Microsoft Word
>%  Word Perfect
>There is now Wordperfect Ver.5.0 available for Unix, but exactly for which
>Unix I am not to sure. According to the June issue of the Byte magazine,
>they have released version 5.0 of micrsoft Word for Unix.

WordPerfect 5.0 is available for SCO Xenix, SCO Unix and about to be
released on several other environments.
It works very much like WordPerfect 5.0 on a PC. AND, will
even allow graphics to a basically non-graphics terminal such as
a Wyse 60.  It will do a page preview using the graphics mode
of the terminal.  Really slick looking.
You appear to have a graphics terminal.  It is not particually quick
in the graphics mode (which you would expect) depending on your
line speed.

Hope this helps.
    ... bob willey, cdp ...

--

alan@mq.UUCP (Alan H. Mintz) (08/06/90)

In article <10@utekza.UUCP>, kevin@utekza.UUCP (Kevin Gribble) writes:
> In article <60@nososl.UUCP> erik%nososl@nac.no (Jan Erik Sevland) writes:
> >

> %Do anybody know about UNIX implementations of current (popular)
> %PC wordprocessors like :
> %
> %  Microsoft Word
> %  Word Perfect
> %  etc.
> %
> %
> %Hope this question is'nt too trivial.
> %
> %Jan Erik

From the WordPerfect Corp. technical docs:

Memory Requirements:

                   WP 4.2         WP5.0
                   ------         --------
1st User           634K           1.6M !!!
Each Add'tl user   258K           385K

These figures are for SCO XENIX 386 (the only supported UNIX platform for 5.0
as of May 1990). I would seriously evaluate the need for the additional
features found in 5.0 versus the bizarre memory requirement difference.

As far as Word is concerned, there have been mumblings about problems with
dropped keystrokes. One of my customers experienced this with 4.0 (I think)
and another gent I spoke with in Australia had the same problem. It seems
to be some kind of interaction between an un-orthodox method of keystroke
handling and certain brands of multi-port serial cards (the problem does
not occur on the console).
--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034 >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995 >

tif@doorstop.austin.ibm.com (Paul Chamberlain) (08/06/90)

In article <29@mq.UUCP> alan@mq.UUCP (Alan H. Mintz) writes:
>Memory Requirements:
>                   WP 4.2         WP5.0
>1st User           634K           1.6M !!!

Hmm, amazing it works under DOS!

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT represent IBM         tif@doorstop, sc30661@ausvm6
512/838-7008     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif

mason@oct1.UUCP (David Mason) (08/07/90)

writes:
>In article <60@nososl.UUCP> erik%nososl@nac.no (Jan Erik Sevland) writes:
>>Do anybody know about UNIX implementations of current (popular)
>>PC wordprocessors like :
>>  Word Perfect
>
>We have Word Putrid running on our 3b2/1000's under SVR3.2. "Ugly"
>doesn't even come close to describing it ...
>--
>     Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
>         {alberta,cbmvax,mips}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca

I feel honour-bound to defend WordPerfect.  I use WordPerfect all
through my day to write a variety of documents for internal use as
well as presentation use.  It drives my LaserJet II perfectly, and produces
excellent output without hassle.  Many of our clients also use.  And we
all use it under Unix.  I am really impressed with WordPerfect as a
word processor and productivity aid.

#include <std.disclaimer>

David               |      mason@oct1 (David M Mason)